Watchmaker on distributed eviroment using MPJ

Jose Aguerre

Jan 29, 2015, 8:46:51 AM1/29/15
to watch...@googlegroups.com
Hello to the community:

I am writing in order to comment that we have developed a distributed version of the Watchmaker framework. It uses MPJ as the message passing library and is based on the concept of island evolution.
The solution can be adapted to every watchmaker program that uses islands as the evolution engine. Each island will belong to a different process, having the ability of distributing each process over LAN. Each island is configured to use as many threads as possible. As an example, we have managed to get 10x speedups using 4 PCs when comparing to the not parallel version of the Monalisa Project (single threaded version).

If anyone is interested in the code, you can write us to rba...@gmail.com and joagu...@gmail.com.

Kind regards,
José Aguerre and Rodrigo Bayá.

Alfonso Garcia

Feb 2, 2015, 7:09:30 AM2/2/15
to watch...@googlegroups.com

Why you don't just publish it on GitHub or similar site instead of waiting for people to request you the code?

One question, have you run into issues with the Mersenne Twister implementation not being multithreaded?

Jose Aguerre

Feb 9, 2015, 8:01:38 AM2/9/15
to watch...@googlegroups.com
We just thought that publishing the whole watchamaker code in github as our code wouldn't be fair... If anyone wants to publish the code on the watchmaker github, we can send it.

We haven't have any trouble with MT, since our implementation is based on MPI.... the evolutionary engine is the same as the original.

Alfonso Garcia

Feb 10, 2015, 4:01:01 AM2/10/15
to watch...@googlegroups.com
Why you don't simply fork the main Watchmaker tree, add your changes and then create a pull request for the maintainer?

Daniel Dyer

Feb 13, 2015, 10:59:26 AM2/13/15
to watch...@googlegroups.com, Jose Aguerre
On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 13:01:38 -0000, Jose Aguerre <joagu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> We just thought that publishing the whole watchamaker code in github as
> our
> code wouldn't be fair... If anyone wants to publish the code on the
> watchmaker github, we can send it.

You are free to do pretty much what you want with the code so long as you
abide by the licence, which is fairly permissive.

How have you approached writing your extensions? Can it be packaged as a
library of separate classes that depends on the core framework or have you
made modifications to the core classes themselves?

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer

peters...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2015, 4:17:36 PM9/9/15
to Watchmaker Framework for Evolutionary Computation
Hello José Aguerre and Rodrigo Bayá,
                 Seems like you have done good advancement with MPJ using Island approach.It will be very very helpful for beginners like me if you share the code.

Kind Regards,

Peterson