watchdog observer does not catch FileMovedEvent in Windows for pathlength > 260

Vijayasankar Ravindran

Sep 11, 2018, 2:30:32 AM9/11/18
to watchdog-python
I have an application which uses watchdog to capture events, aggregate it and perform some file operations based on it.

Problem

When I move files or rename a file in windows within path length < 260,  the move event is captured and it's working fine and smooth.

But, when I move files or rename a file/folder in windows of path length > 260, there is no FileMovedEvent captured when I rename a file. And when I move multiple files, FileMoveEvents gets fired for some files while other files get subsequent FileCreateEvent and FileDeleteEvent pairs. And there are files which don't get events fired at all. It's very inconsistent.

So, does watchdog-python support Windows Long Path feature (File operations in path length of more than 260 chars)?

Thanks in advance!!