FTC Workshop on Oct 20th

Heidi Lovett

Sep 25, 2013, 1:31:37 AM9/25/13
to washin...@googlegroups.com, pnw-...@yahoogroups.com

Dear FTC Teams,

Being successful in the FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) requires a good understanding of many topics.  As an FTC community, we all benefit from getting together to share our collective knowledge and learn from each other.  We will be hosting a series of workshops and a robot build session on Sunday October 20th.  Morning workshops will be on a variety of topics which best suite your interest.  Workshops will be run by veteran FTC teams as well as FTC affiliated adult experts.  In the afternoon, you will have a chance to work on your robots and test programs, mechanisms, or chassis which you have developed.

If you are a rookie team, this will be a great opportunity for you.  We will have a series of workshops specifically designed to address challenges that rookie teams may face.  During the build session, veteran teams will be available to provide guidance, troubleshoot problems, and connect you with resources you can use when you leave.

Are you on a team which knows what you are doing but is ready to move up to the next level?  The workshops will provide hints and tips that you can use to make your robot and your team better.  At the build session you can learn how to build or program that killer mechanism you’ve been thinking about, but don’t know how to actually make.

Do you have a great idea for a workshop?  Are you a veteran of FTC? This is your opportunity to take a leadership role in the community and run workshops and mentor younger teams.  FIRST is all about gracious professionalism, and what better way to exemplify this philosophy than to give back directly to other FTC teams!  Plus it looks great in judging…

Logistics:  Sunday 10/20 at Seattle Academy (Capitol Hill, Seattle)

-Doors open at 8:30 am for registration.
-Morning workshops at 9, 10, and 11 am.
-Pizza lunch ($5 for a large slice and a drink)
-Robot Build session in the afternoon – Bring what you have....your prototypes, tools, spare parts, raw materials which you would like to learn more about (eg smaller servos, sliding drawer mounts, lead-screws), NXT, USB cord, laptop with RobotC/Labview, tetrix/matrix motor/servo controllers and 12V batteries, and a power strip to distribute power.
-We will have practice fields available for your use.

- Doors close at 4:00pm
- Teams are welcome to join us for only the morning workshops (9-12), only the afternoon build (1-4), or for the whole day.

If you are interested in attending, we need to collect some information from you in order to plan the event which matches the interests of participants.  Please complete this survey PRIOR TO MONDAY 9/30http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TQTLNPD .

Heidi Lovett
Mentor, Swerve Robotics