COMMUNITY CHARITY GAMING MARATHON! - Sat July 25

Heidi Lovett

Jul 14, 2015, 6:36:23 PM7/14/15
to washin...@googlegroups.com, pnw-...@yahoogroups.com
Hey FTC Robotics Community, I hope you’re all having a great summer!

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you and your fellow teammates to the SWERVE COMMUNITY CHARITY GAMING MARATHON!

Playing games non-stop for 24 hours to raise funds for children in need, what could be better?
This is Extra Life’s official statement on the event: "Extra Life is gamers doing what they do best to help sick and injured children at their chosen Children’s Miracle Network Hospital. Simply sign up, commit to play games for 24 hours with us, and ask your family and friends to support your efforts!

We are joining Extra Life’s mission; Microsoft is hosting the event; and all funds we raise will go directly to the Seattle Children’s Hospital via the Extra Life website and networks.

If you have any questions regarding what Extra-Life is, the page below should be able to answer most of your inquiries: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.page&id=1103#This sounds cool, but what exactly is Extra Life?

The marathon will be held at the Bellevue Microsoft Store: Bellevue Square, 116 Bellevue Way Southeast, Bellevue, WA 98004. It will start Saturday July 25th, 10AM, to Sunday July 26th, 10 AM.

Here are some websites for reference:

If you want to join, and we implore you to do so, follow Jarrod’s instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNYJoqjCLMo&feature=youtu.be, and send us an email to let us know!

Spread the news to your family, the community, everyone! And join us in reaching our funding goal of $5000!

Alright people, please contact Daniel <danie...@gmail.com>, Jarrod <jarrod...@gmail.com> , or Nick <awesom...@gmail.com> with any other concerns, interests, or questions. Thanks!

P.S. This counts as community service hours for those of you seeking Honor Society!

Best Regards,
Daniel Shorr
+1 (425)-218-5626
danie...@gmail.com

Carolyn Davids

Jul 15, 2015, 1:11:50 AM7/15/15
to pnw-...@yahoogroups.com, washin...@googlegroups.com

Registration is now open for the 5th annual ISEC Space Elevator Youth Robotics Competition!

Registration is now open for RoboClimb 2015, the fifth annual ISEC Space Elevator Youth Robotics Competition. This exciting competition will take place on Saturday, August 22 at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

If you are looking for a fun summer project to engage students, this is it! Students are challenged to design, build and program autonomous robots that simulate carrying satellites into orbit. Robots must defy gravity and climb a 22-foot 'space elevator ribbon' while carrying a payload. There are two robot classes to choose from: “LEGO Only” and “(Almost) Anything Goes.” In addition to building a climbing robot, we also encourage participants to build a dispenser to hold or feed satellites to your robot to earn extra bonus points (see the rules for the specifics).

This project will encourage creativity and engage kids in learning basic physics concepts, mechanical and electrical engineering principles, computer programming and more.  STEM!
The competition is FREE to registered teams and admission to the Museum of Flight is also free to registered teams.

Prizes will be awarded to the top-performing teams and for innovative robot design. Space is limited, so grab your friends, form a team and enter today. For the rules and registration information, visit www.isec.org/sec/index.php/family-science-fest
Please this news widely with your robotics clubs, youth groups, your friends and anyone else who might be interested in this challenge.

SPACE ELEVATOR ROBOTICS WORKSHOP AND MEETING - SATURDAY, JULY 25, 2015

There will be a special ROBOTICS WORKSHOP and MEETING  at the Redmond Library on Saturday, July 25, 2014, 1 pm- 4 pm, in meeting room 1.

This meeting is open to anyone interested in learning more about the robotics competition and to:

WORK on your robots,

TEST your bot using a test arena

GET HELP with building and programming

SEE sample satellites and use for testing

David Schilling, the competition designer and tech lead, will be on hand to offer support and feedback.

Please this news widely with your robotics clubs, youth groups, your friends and anyone else who might be interested in this challenge.

Thanks!
Carolyn Davids

ISEC Space Elevator Youth Robotics Competition Coordinator