2nd Annual FTC Workshop 9/21

gcronin

Sep 8, 2014, 1:47:39 PM9/8/14
to washin...@googlegroups.com
Hi FTC Teams and Mentors,

Please encourage your teams to attend the 2nd annual FTC Workshop.  We will have a ton of great workshops and a ton of opportunities for veteran teams to demonstrate their gracious professionalism.  In particular, we are looking for some veteran teams to share in round table workshops on engineering notebook usage, scouting, and team organization.

Please distribute the flier below (and attached) widely.  We are on a bit of a compressed time schedule this year so we need help getting the word out!!!

FTC Workshop

What:  This day will focus on getting newer teams up and running in the context of this year’s FTC game, or helping veteran teams to make it to the next level.  The morning (9am-12) will consist of twelve 45 minute workshops or round tables discussions organized into four themes; robot design and construction, programming, teams helping other teams, and support for coaches/mentors.  Tentative topics in each theme are given below:

Programming:  intro to RobotC, advanced topics in RobotC, sensors and the HiTechnic Protoboard, I2C communication with Hitechnic Motor and Servo Controllers.

Design & Construction:  Game Strategy, robust design, commercial over the shelf parts (COTS)

Round Table Workshops:  Engineering Notebook, scouting, team organization

Mentor/Coaches:  Project management, securing and retaining sponsors and mentors

The afternoon (1-4pm) will consist of a time to get newer teams up and running working on chassis construction using the Tetrix kit of parts, and intro to programming a teleoperated program for controlling the chassis with joysticks.

Concessions for lunch will be available supplied for Seattle Academy teams 2856/5619/6157.  Vegetarian and gluten free options will be available.

Why:  Gracious Professionalism means that we all get better as we share our working knowledge and explore roadblocks with other teams.    In addition to learning specific information and processes at this event, teams will be able to network to develop connections which can be utilized throughout the season.

When:  Sunday September 21st, 2014 from 8:30 to 4pm.

Where:  Seattle Academy, Capitol Hill (directions will be given out)

What to Bring:

For morning sessions:  optional computers with RobotC, items to take notes with, camera

For afternoon sessions:  Tetrix kit of parts, wrenches and hex drivers to assemble tetrix components, computer loaded with programming software (Labview or RobotC), NXT, USB cord,  12V batteries, and a power strip to distribute power.  Veteran teams may be able to support newer teams who do not have the Tetrix kit of parts by loaning components for usage this afternoon only.

Lunch or money for pizza, sandwiches, drinks ($5 for pizza and drink or sandwich and drink).

09.01.14-FTC Workshop Description.docx

gcronin

Sep 8, 2014, 1:59:04 PM9/8/14
to washin...@googlegroups.com
Realized that I forgot to include information about how to sign up!

Signups are being done via the FirstWA website:

*Where to Sign Up:*
http://www.firstwa.org/Events/MasterCalendar/tabid/604/PageId/EventDetails/EventId/54/Default.aspx?EventStartDate=9%2f21%2f2014+8%3a30%3a00+AM&EventEndDate=9%2f21%2f2014+4%3a00%3a00+PM
09.01.14-FTC Workshop Description.docx