Opportunity to participate in a cool Robotics Competition in August

Carolyn Davids

Jun 27, 2012, 12:57:18 PM6/27/12
to pnw-...@yahoogroups.com, wa...@yahoogroups.com, washin...@googlegroups.com

Robotics Fans ­– Save this Date – Saturday, August 25, 2012!

This is an e-Blast to alert you to a very cool opportunity – the chance to be part of an exciting robotics competition that will take place on Saturday, August 25, 2012,
at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, WA.  (www.museumofflight.org)

If you’ve been looking for a way to stay involved with robotics this summer, this is it.
Local and regional FIRST LEGO League, FIRST Tech Challenge and FIRST Robotics Competition team members are all encouraged to compete.

WHAT:  Youth Robotics Space Elevator Competition
WHERE:  The Museum of Flight, Seattle, WA
DATE:  Saturday, August 25, 2012
COST:  Free to registered individuals or teams (up to five students per team; two coaches per team); you can have more than one team entered.
    Also, admission to the Museum of Flight is FREE for registered individuals or teams.

Further details below:

The 2012 Space Elevator Conference, a 3-day technical conference focusing on a futuristic space transportation system, is sponsoring a family-focused day of activities on August 25, 2012,
that will feature a youth robotics competition. This year, the robotics competition will take place in the Side Gallery of the museum.
Robotic climbers will have to ascend to new heights (22 ft) against a backdrop of our Earth as seen from outer space.

About the Robotics Competition
In brief, teams of students will be challenged to design, build and program an autonomous robot capable of climbing a tether, performing a specified task and then returning to base. The robot then repeats the task.
The runs will be scored by judges and some really cool prizes will be awarded.

Teams have from now until August 25th to plan, design, build and test their robots.

So get your team(s) together, pre-register, gather your laptops, robot parts and tools, begin brainstorming, designing and building your climbing robot. You can think of this as a warm-up
for the upcoming robotics season.

The 2012 Competition Rules
The rules for the robotics challenge are now posted on the International Space Elevator Consortium website.

Robotics Workshop this Summer
We’re also planning a special robotics workshop to offer support to those individuals or teams participating in the competition, date to be announced. Mentors and veteran team members will be on hand to help and
we’ll have samples of the ribbon and some satellites to work with.

Volunteer Opportunities!!
Students, if you would like to volunteer at this event and log some valuable community service hours, there are many positions available. For more information, please contact me,
Carolyn Davids, at cmda...@seanet.com

Mentors, coaches and parents are invited to help out as well. We need judges, pit support folks, a field tech and general all around helpers. There are many activities that will need to be staffed as well.

Enjoy your summer and keep building robots!
And please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Carolyn Davids
2012 Space Elevator Youth Event Planning Committee
FTC Team 417 Non-technical Mentor

Event Description from the Museum of Flight: