ACTION NEEDED: Help our friends in BC

Heidi Lovett

Oct 5, 2012, 1:57:32 AM10/5/12
to washin...@googlegroups.com
Teams,

We are working hard to help restart FTC in British Columbia.  Step one is to get enough teams to have a Qualifying event there (that would be Qualifying for Championships in St. Louis).  This means that YOU need to contact them and tell them you would be willing to make the drive to Vancouver for a tournament.  There is a deadline - NOV 1.

We currently have only 8 teams but need to have 12 to make this event happen.  I can assure you that it will be a fun event.  Please help us make this event a "go".  Act now, so that the organizer can start planning.

Thank you.

Heidi Lovett
Mentor, Swerve Robotics

Begin forwarded message:

Hello Everyone,

I have forwarded your request to FIRST.  In fact when I spoke with my manager at FIRST, we specifically talked about the possibilities of hosting a qualifying tournament.  I've explained to her that I have 8 teams in the nearby communities that would like to participate in a qualifying tournament in Vancouver, specifically at a late February date.  I've also explained that my school was willing to be the host, and the various teams would bring the needed field components.  I've specifically asked her to bring the request to her counterpart at the FTC desk; I do have confirmation that the request was received verbally and via email.  So far no replies from the FTC desk.

There are two major issues which will prevent the February event from being a qualifier event:
1 We do not have a sponsoring organization which will sign with first as an event partner.
2 There are only 8 teams that have responded to the call out request, minimum 12 teams to be a qualifier (info confirmed).

So at this point, I cannot proceed any further until 4 or more additional teams connects with me to demonstrate their commitment to participation.  Second a very large organization needs to step forward to sign the partnership agreement with FIRST.  When there is additional development I will contact FIRST again and re-pitch the idea of a February qualifing tournament.  Otherwise we can still proceed with a local scrimmage tournament.  The final Go/No Go date for me with respect to booking the building is November 1st.

Also to clarify, to have access to a high school building during the weekends costs $1300 to $1500 per day.  The fee goes towards rental of the building as well as janitorial and facilities services.  Both department will have to sent staff out to open and shut down the facility during the weekend, which is consider to be overtime pay.

I hope this info helps.

Brian Yu
FIRST LEGO League - B.C.
Text Message (778) 990-3623