[JOB] Full Stack Web Developer, NASA Earth Observatory Group (GSFC, Greenbelt, MD)

Kevin Ward

Oct 29, 2017, 12:30:21 PM10/29/17
to Washington, DC PHP Developers Group
Are you a full stack LAMP web developer? Are you comfortable with a mix of solo and collaborative work, maintenance of existing applications and from-scratch development? Do you seek out new opportunities to learn new tools and technologies? Do you want to work at NASA?

Science Systems and Applications, Inc. (SSAI) is seeking a full-time web developer to join the Earth Observatory Group (https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/) at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD.

As a web developer with the EO, you will be responsible for a variety of tasks ranging from maintaining proprietary CMS, administering Drupal websites, maintaining web services, and having plenty of opportunities for creative development of new systems for producing and distributing NASA Earth science content. We offer an exciting work environment, reasonably flexible schedule, a 40-hour work week, and competitive benefits and salary. You will get to walk the halls with and work with some of the brightest minds in NASA science, and share the fruits of their labor with the whole world. You will also be given opportunities to share your creative ideas and development techniques with our larger NASA community.

The ideal candidate is a well-rounded developer who is skilled at identifying problems and implementing solutions to improve our systems. Experience with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, SQL and PHP is expected at this level. We predominantly use PHP and the Laravel framework although there are also requirements to maintain a Java-based system and a smattering of other legacy systems. There is opportunity for limited front-end design development but you must be familiar with, and be able to maintain, HTML and CSS.

Required Qualifications:
  • Five years of experience in deploying commercial or government websites and secure web applications
  • Fundamental web technologies (LAMP, HTML, CSS, Javascript)
  • Familiarity with Java language
  • Strong understanding of MVC and OOP
  • Laravel framework experience
  • Experience with implementing responsive design
  • Use of version control systems (git/subversion)
  • BS in Computer Science, Information Systems or web design/development or comparable work experience
  • Strong written and verbal communication skills (English)

Desired Qualifications:
  • Amazon Web Services (AWS), concepts and deployment
  • Drupal maintenance and development
  • Experience creating and using Web services
  • Implementation of Section 508 requirements for accessibility
  • Web server security training (GWUX/GSIP, CISSP, or equivalent) strongly desired
  • Working knowledge of Photoshop a plus