GET Request Leads to Criminal Charges

Ray

Apr 18, 2018, 1:14:11 PM4/18/18
to washington-...@googlegroups.com
DC PHP Friends:

I'm posting this here in the hope that my colleagues will share it widely and, hopefully, donate at least one day's lunch money to support this young man's legal defense fund.  Please do your own due diligence, starting here:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/freedom-of-information-request-privacy-breach-teen-speaks-out-1.4621970

Here is what I believed happened.  The boy was looking at a Nova Scotia Freedom of Information web site and modified the URL in his browser address bar.  Astonishingly, the new URL revealed things the government wanted to keep secret.  Instead of firing their security officer (the right thing) they mounted a criminal case against the kid (the wrong thing).

Since my web sites field thousands of such requests every day without any unwanted data leaks, I feel that it's time we put this government under the bright lights of publicity, and help this boy get back on his feet.

https://ca.gofundme.com/ns-teen-railroaded-by-government

Please help if you can.  Thanks,
Ray Paseur

William Hurley

Apr 18, 2018, 1:29:20 PM4/18/18
to Ray, washington-...@googlegroups.com
It's unfortunate that the same issues around the CFAA that snagged Aaron Swartz and Weev are being replicated by our neighbors to the north.

William Hurley
Chief Technology Officer

Forum One: Extend Your Influence

Sandy Smith

Apr 18, 2018, 2:29:39 PM4/18/18
to Ray, DC PHP Developers Group Washington
Not to make light of this poor kid’s situation, but:

That illustration is full of wat.

Ray