Kenmore 200 series shakes, walks across floor

imaddicted2u

Jun 27, 2023, 2:38:26 PM6/27/23
to Washer Repair
Kenmore 700 series shakes bad, walks across floor during spin cycle.
Replaced 3 suspension springs and 1 counter balance spring along with snubbers. Spring atatchment points still good. Leveled with shims as best I could, legs are seized, it's reasonably close. Ring at top has fluid, no signs of leaking.
Still shakes like crazy, walks a few inches across floor, clothes come out spun dry as normal, rest of cycle is normal.
What else could be cause, what am I missing.
Kenmore model 110.28762700 Type 111-01

imaddicted2u

Jun 27, 2023, 2:43:02 PM6/27/23
to Washer Repair
Should have mentioned that it's a top load.

Carol Curtin

Jun 27, 2023, 3:20:01 PM6/27/23
to Washer Repair
First thing I would check is to see if the spider support arm is broken. Make sure tub is empty then mark a starting point. Move inner tub by hand back and forth and side to side. Make a quarter turn and repeat. Do this all the way around. If you feel more play in any area than another the noise is the support arm is done.

imaddicted2u

Jun 27, 2023, 3:47:11 PM6/27/23
to Washer Repair

Thanks Carol, are you thinking it's a front load? When I go to Sears parts direct it shows a pic of a front load but the parts list is for top load. It is top load I don't see anything like a spider in the parts list. The inner drum is tight, no play at the washer drive block. Upon closer examination of the parts diagram I see there is another set of snubbers. I didn't know about them. Going to take a closer look.
Sears parts direct link

imaddicted2u

Jun 27, 2023, 8:25:08 PM6/27/23
to Washer Repair
There is indeed 2 sets of snubber pads.
First set is not too bad to get to. They are.Part # 285744. I had already replaced these three, they were completely worn. The vibration improved but it wasn't completely tamed and gradually got worse.
Here is installation instruction for first set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg8xTKR9qAU&t=714s

Second set will be much more difficult. Have to disassemble down to base to get to them. They are Part # 285219. Looking at them as best I could, they appeared to be in good shape.
What I did to prove whether these were the culprit was to cut 3 plastic strips from an old vertical blind. It's 0.5mm thick. So I figured it might take up some slack. I was able to pry up similar to the other set and slide the plastic strips in but you could never change them this way. Sure enough the washer spin cycle has calmed down. The current snubbers must have worn enough to become ineffective so don't be fooled by the thickness of them.
Here are instructions for the more difficult snubbers (would be easy to change both sets when changing this set):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-5k40Jmko

Heck, my cheapo fix might last forever though...but I'll have a new set on hand, just in case...lol.

Carol Curtin

Jun 28, 2023, 9:29:51 AM6/28/23
to Washer Repair
Thanks for that valuable information.

imaddicted2u

Jun 28, 2023, 10:33:35 AM6/28/23
to Washer Repair
Thank you, Carol, for making me stare at the parts diagram a little longer. I had no idea the second set of snubber pads were there. ;-)

imaddicted2u

Jul 15, 2023, 11:07:07 AM7/15/23
to Washer Repair
Back for an update, my quick fix worked for a week or so. The plastic pieces I slipped in worked their way out and fell on the floor. I received the suspension pads this morning and was up bright and early to strip the washer to this point.
washer stripped.jpg
Then twist the lower triangle to uncover the pads. I removed them with a flat screwdriver and tapped the news ones in using a small block of wood. Make sure to orient the tapered side correctly to match the old ones. Then twist the lower triangle back in the opposite direction. To look at the pads you wouldn't think they were bad but they were shiny smooth so provided little to no friction.
washer stripped twisted.jpg
Then put it all back together. Lots of videos out there to show how this is done.
No need to be pulling on the springs to release them, just unbolt the brackets while holding them with a pair of pliers, then slowly release the pliers.. Learned that lesson while pulling on a spring and the pliers let go and I got whacked in the forehead...lol.
First load done and the washer was still in the spot on the floor it started in, that's a major improvement. Hopefully good for a few years. Although I noticed one of the dogs in the agitator was broken, cheap fix for that.

Carol Curtin

Jul 17, 2023, 12:33:02 PM7/17/23
to Washer Repair
Thank you for the valuable information.