Electrolux tub axle used a hex bolt rather than a nut, gave up

David Yon

Jul 10, 2022, 6:35:45 PM7/10/22
to Washer Repair
Turns out the flywheel was attached to the axle using a hex bolt of all things, rather than a hex nut as seen in the video.  This is for Electrolux EIFLS60JIW0, so repairer beware on that particular model.

The nut I could have dealt with, as I have some pretty long socket wrenches.  But a flat hex bolt?  Couldn't get the damned thing to budge, even with a DeWalt 20V Impact Driver, nor did applying heat to the bolt have any effect.  Almost like they designed it to be impossible to repair or something.  (seriously... they had to know that the fastener would be rusted on pretty tight by the time it would need repair, and a hex bolt makes zero sense in that regard)

Anyway, it got to the point where I was concerned that more aggressive attempts to free it up would result in damaging other components of the assembly, so I bit the bullet and ordered a new washer.

What's the return policy on a bearing kit?