Recommended Washer Brands and Models

Thierry M.

Jun 27, 2024, 3:30:16 PMJun 27
to washer...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I joined this group years ago when my Whirlpool Duet needed new bearings.  With the parts from Jerrod and the assistance of a few replies on this forum, I successfully changed the bearings and seal.  That was 11 years ago, and the same machine is still working perfectly today!

So I thought I'd get a few opinions and recommendations on what model and brand people would consider purchasing today.

This following information isn't needed to reply to that question, however I thought I'd add it for context:

This machine isn't for me, it's for my sister, who's Frigidaire suddenly died yesterday, along with leaking a ton of water.  Fortunately it was installed in a basement.  However, I'll provide details because I've never heard of such a failure, and was curious if anyone else had.  In particular, the repair person noted that the entire tub had dropped down onto the pump, creating a crack in the pump.  If it's like the Duet, the tub is suspended by springs from above the tub, in order to permit the tub assembly to move.  So either one or more springs broke, or one or more of the spring attachments to the tub broke.  When this happened, the machine was washing a fairly small load.

The machine was about ten years old.  So I wouldn't have been surprised if a wear item died, like the bearings or the pump motor or the main motor.  But the springs?

So as the repairman was packing up, the question was asked, which brand would he recommend.  His answer: "Anything other than LG or Samsung or something with lots of electronics and extra features".  He said that based on his experience, they have a high rate of needing repairs and when they need repairs it's often an electronic part that takes months to get.  Of course, this is just one person's opinion.

I had seen the LG's in Costco from time to time and in the back of my mind, I had thought that when my 21 year old Duet finally goes, that I would replace them with a new LG.  Rethinking that now :-)

Thanks for any help,
Thierry