Kenmore seal

David G

Aug 1, 2022, 1:29:26 PM8/1/22
to Washer Repair
I can purchase replacement bearings and a seal locally for my 20 year old washer, but the seal is not identical to the original. It does not have the built in self lubricating system. Is that a major factor in the rebuild process?

gle...@hotmail.com

Aug 2, 2022, 11:56:34 AM8/2/22
to Washer Repair
I have never heard of a built-in self lubricating system for a seal. Can you describe what that is and how it works?

David G

Aug 2, 2022, 4:07:12 PM8/2/22
to Washer Repair
The seal has two lips, and in between them there is a space that allows lubrication to flow onto the shaft from a reservoir that is built into the back side of the seal. If you look at normal oil seals, the back is open and usually there is a spring wrapped around the rear lip to put pressure on it. With the lubricated seal, the back has a rubber cover that holds the lubricant in. The spring is not visible.

gle...@hotmail.com

Aug 4, 2022, 4:18:58 AM8/4/22
to Washer Repair
Thanks for that information. Do you know what kind of lubricant they use in the reservoir?

My washer has not had much use, but the spider bracket disintegrated anyway. I had made the error of letting clothes soak in the tub. The bearing and seal are in good shape so I don't think I'll replace them. Maybe I''ll lubricate the seal a bit before I reassemble. Do you know what kind of lubricant they use in the self lubricating system?

If I were replacing a bad seal, I would get one that matched the original. Why risk having to tear it all apart again?

My Kenmore washer is model 417.29042991. What's yours?

Washer Repair

Dec 6, 2022, 10:51:43 AM12/6/22
to Washer Repair
There is no such thing as a "built in seal lubricating" system. The double lip seals do come pre-lubed. The truth is that if the seal fails then water gets in and even if there was a lube system it would be a waste. The key is a clean and smooth shaft, proper assembly and as long as the bearings are protected (by the seal) from water, the machines will run for a long long time.

gle...@hotmail.com

Dec 8, 2022, 11:26:47 AM12/8/22
to Washer Repair
I had never heard of that either. Anyway, I will be using the existing seal since there aren't many miles on it. It is pretty dry do I would like to lubricate it. What seal-friendly lubricant would you recommend?

Doriane Marshall

Dec 8, 2022, 11:37:42 AM12/8/22
to Washer Repair
Hello, you may use any  high quality lubricant, such as lithium grease.