Mapping election results using Warwickshire open election data and OS Boundary Line

Steve Woodward

May 14, 2010, 6:06:39 AM5/14/10
to Warwickshire Open Data
My entry is an extension of the work I was doing representing the
election data; it adds in the Ordnance Survey Boundary Line data to
show the county council election results on a Google Map. Here's an
example of the 2009 results.

http://madeofstring.co.uk/electiondata/elections/1

There's also a full map for 2005, but nothing for 2001 - the
boundaries changed in 2004.

Note that the map is likely to be very slow in Internet Explorer, but
it should be a lot quicker in Safari/Firefox/Opera/Chrome/anything
else.

There's a link to a KML export of the data at the bottom of the map
for viewing in Google Earth or through Google Maps - this is a bit
experimental at the moment, you won't get filled-in shapes currently.

I've also added an map of the area to the individual result page.
Here's Leek Wootton.

http://madeofstring.co.uk/electiondata/elections/1/division/203

I've started writing up the whole thing here...

http://abigbang.wikidot.com/reference-app-election-data-maps

cheers

Steve Woodward

May 14, 2010, 7:14:17 AM5/14/10
to Warwickshire Open Data
Just as example of an alternative way of doing this, here's
Buckinghamshire CC's mapping system showing parliamentary election
results.

http://apps.buckscc.gov.uk/TICLocalViewpub/Sites/BCCGeneralElections/?x=485213&y=213485&scale=&lod=5&sr=27700

The vector information is rendered serverside as an image, straight
from the (presumably ESRI) GIS system. Is more compatible with greater
variety of browsers (ESRI dev says that Bucks had same issues with
vector rendering in IE), but I imagine it would need a hefty server.
Think that in order for some sort of clientside interaction with the
areas (pop-ups saying "this is Aylesbury", for example), you'd still
need to outline them in Javascript.