Library Catalogue New Items feed not validating

Owen Stephens

May 21, 2010, 4:15:50 PM5/21/10
to warwickshir...@googlegroups.com
Great to see this new feed - but there seem to be some issues with this? See

http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi?url=http://librarycatalogue.warwickshire.gov.uk/ABwarwick/rss.ashx%3Fuilang%3Den

Thanks

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com
Email: ow...@ostephens.com
Telephone: 0121 288 6936

Steve Woodward

May 24, 2010, 4:50:13 PM5/24/10
to Warwickshire Open Data
Hello Owen

That feed comes direct out of AquaBrowser - amongst other things, it
breaks on <author> being in the format lastname, firstname rather than
email address, as per the RSS2.0 spec. Seen that "the shape of things
to come" is listed in there currently - think it's kind of unlikely
we'll ever get HG Wells' email address, much as we'd like it :-) FWIW,
stripping out the RSS container gives us valid XML.

We'll look into it - I've no direct experience with AquaBrowser
itself, I wonder if there might be an alternate feed format that
AquaBrowser could produce.

cheers
Steve Woodward

analyst/programmer
Warwickshire County Council

On May 21, 9:15 pm, Owen Stephens <o...@ostephens.com> wrote:
> Great to see this new feed - but there seem to be some issues with this? See
>
> http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi?url=http://librarycatalogue.wa...
>
> Thanks
>
> Owen
>
> Owen Stephens
> Owen Stephens Consulting
> Web:http://www.ostephens.com
> Email: o...@ostephens.com
> Telephone: 0121 288 6936

Owen Stephens

May 25, 2010, 5:12:59 AM5/25/10
to warwickshir...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Steve

This might be something to pass back to the vendor I guess - if they want to wrap this data in an RSS they'd be better off using RSS 1.0 and then they could use dc:author for the item author - which would make more sense and be valid. I'm happy to work with it as it is of course, but if there is any chance of getting the vendor to correct this in the future that would be great. I can see other Aquabrowser installations have the same problem, so not just you!

Thanks,

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com
Email: ow...@ostephens.com
Telephone: 0121 288 6936

Jim Morton

May 25, 2010, 5:34:32 AM5/25/10
to Warwickshire Open Data
I've had a chat with our library experts who are getting back to the
aquabrowser developers

On 25 May, 10:12, Owen Stephens <o...@ostephens.com> wrote:
> Thanks Steve
>
> This might be something to pass back to the vendor I guess - if they want to wrap this data in an RSS they'd be better off using RSS 1.0 and then they could use dc:author for the item author - which would make more sense and be valid. I'm happy to work with it as it is of course, but if there is any chance of getting the vendor to correct this in the future that would be great. I can see other Aquabrowser installations have the same problem, so not just you!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Owen
>
> Owen Stephens
> Owen Stephens Consulting
> Web:http://www.ostephens.com

PaulmcIlroy

May 25, 2010, 8:18:41 AM5/25/10
to Warwickshire Open Data
Hi - Library "expert" here.

I've raised this with Infor who supply Warks Libraries with
Aquabrowser. I've included a link to this discussion as it contains
some useful tips for fixes.

Cheers

Paul