Warwickshire jobs

Owen Stephens

May 19, 2010, 6:13:24 PM5/19/10
to warwickshir...@googlegroups.com
Just playing idly to be honest, but if anyone is interested, I've taken the two jobs RSS feeds and using Yahoo Pipes, combined them, extracted location information, and plotted the jobs on a map

http://pipes.yahoo.com/ostephens/8e21e4a8fb13c35891c262652ec5f993

One issue I've found is that because I've only got very high level geographic location - e.g. 'Warwick', using the Yahoo Pipes location stuff, it puts the marker for each job in Warwick in exactly the same place - meaning when you look at the map you see a single marker - which is rather misleading. If you use the Previous and Next arrow buttons on the popup you will see each job in turn.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to 'dither' the location slightly so the markers show up nicely?

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com
Email: ow...@ostephens.com
Telephone: 0121 288 6936

Steve Woodward

May 20, 2010, 6:07:56 PM5/20/10
to Warwickshire Open Data
Hello Owen

I've had the same problem on something else I was working on.

I think there can be more data in the original databases than is in
the feeds - for example the Events data doesn't expose postcode info,
which I know is stored when supplied. One possibility I looked at was
scraping out the easting/northings from the map link on the events
pages, but I like to make things hard for myself.. :-)

Ideally we'd revisit the feeds and expose that more detailed info,
hoping that'll be possible.

cheers
Steve