Advice for a wearable

Csaba Toth

Mar 27, 2017, 1:56:03 AM3/27/17
to >warpx.io
Dear WarpX fans,

I'd like to build a wearable health watch as a hobby project. I'd need 3 things for that:
1. Add a GPS sensor to the system
2. Add a wrist heart rate sensor to the system
3. Write the application

Each point begs a question:
1. Which GPS sensor do you advise? I saw Warp.io demos an Adafruit temperature sensor, Would an https://www.adafruit.com/products/746 Adafruit ultimate GPS integrate well with WarpX.io? My main goals are: as precise GPS reading as possible, in sub second range. Also as easy intergation as possible with WarpX
2. Almost same as GPS: which wrist heart rate sensor do you advise?
3. WarpX supports Android, but it's kinda out of date version. Is there any recent LineageOS port maybe? In that case I could write an Android app. Otherwise I would go with Yocto and some Qt app, but I'm somewhat worries about the touch support and hand gesture support. What are your advices? The app would display time, maps, data (heart rate, stats, ...)

Thanks,
Csaba Toth

Diego Rondini

Mar 27, 2017, 11:26:49 AM3/27/17
to wa...@googlegroups.com, Csaba Toth
In data lunedì 27 marzo 2017 07:56:03 CEST, Csaba Toth ha scritto:
> Dear WarpX fans,
>
> <snip>
> 3. WarpX supports Android, but it's kinda out of date version. Is there any
> recent LineageOS port maybe? In that case I could write an Android app.
> Otherwise I would go with Yocto and some Qt app, but I'm somewhat worries
> about the touch support and hand gesture support. What are your advices?
> The app would display time, maps, data (heart rate, stats, ...)
>
> Thanks,
> Csaba Toth

Hi Csaba,

thanks for reaching out to the warpx community!

I'll skip the hardware questions, but I'm sure someone else will step up to
help you in that regard.

Regarding the Android support, the latest binary image we provide is based on
4.3, but if you have the knowledge to do Android builds from sources the
releases from Freescale / NXP of the Android BSP "m6.0.1_2.1.0-ga" and the
upcoming "n7.1.1_1.0.0-ga" include basic warp_0x01 board support in the kernel
(although some drivers need to be ported from our current pure Linux kernel
for full functionality).
Also keep in mind recent Android versions have an increased RAM memory usage,
so performances might start to degrade with the 512MBytes of the warp_0x01
board.

Regarding touch support and gestures I think you won't find major problems
with the Yocto based Linux images and the 2.2" QVGA display:
https://revotics.com/store/warp/warp-display-adapter-2-2-lcd-touch
as we have already tested touch support. Keep in mind the touch panel doesn't
support multitouch (which would be difficult anyhow on such a small screen),
so you have only single touch gestures available. Generally gestures are
handled at the toolkit level, so Qt should provide you all is needed.

Bests,
Diego

Jacob Postman

Mar 30, 2017, 1:17:43 PM3/30/17
to Csaba Toth, >warpx.io
Hi Csaba,

1. For a hobby project, the Adafruit GPS module you posted should work well. One benefit to this is that they have good documentation here on getting started with their gps using an RPi. The biggest difference looks like that you will not be able to use apt-get to install gpsd, gpsd-clients and python-gps and will need to install those packages on Yocto.

2. For heart rate, as a hobby project the easiest way to get a heart rate is probably to use one of these (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1093) or a clone/similar. For a commercial application there are much better options, but nothing I know of that wouldn't require some circuit design or that can be wired in off-the-shelf .

Jacob