Easy OS upgrades with SWUpdate

Diego Rondini

Mar 30, 2017, 5:38:26 AM3/30/17
to wa...@googlegroups.com
Dear warpx community,

we are now providing an easy way to update all the software in your warp_0x01
board, thanks to the integration of SWUpdate we've prepared for you!
The details are in the community blog post:
http://warpx.io/blog/tutorial/easy-os-upgrades-swupdate

We hope it makes things easier for you! Let us know your feedback!

Diego

Csaba Toth

Sep 2, 2017, 9:33:10 PM9/2/17
to >warpx.io, diego....@kynetics.com
I'm stuck in the beginning at the "U-Boot USB Mass Storage setup" 3. "interrupt U-Boot autoboot countdown on the serial console" step, since I never see a countdown on the console. In fact, I cannot open up a serial console when the device is not powered on, since the /dev/ devices don't exist at that time (I'm using Ubuntu 17.04, udev is dynamic). So when I get the prompt through minicom, it already went through the boot and I get the root prompt.
How can I enter into the ums prompt?

Diego Rondini

Sep 3, 2017, 5:49:59 AM9/3/17
to Csaba Toth, >warpx.io
Hi Csaba.

The easiest way is to just type "reboot" at the Linux command line prompt. That way you won't have power interruption, and you will be able to use U-Boot prompt.

Alternatively, if you open minicom in advance and press Enter while plugging the USB cable you should be able to interrupt the U-Boot timeout too.

Also remember to have the USB OTG cable connected to the interposer to have the ums usb function work correctly.

Let me know if it works!

Bests,
Diego

Csaba Toth

Sep 3, 2017, 11:39:32 PM9/3/17
to >warpx.io, csaba....@gmail.com, diego....@kynetics.com
After I sorted out the serial connection I was able to upgrade!
Two things:
1. I made a mistake and flashed the swupdate-standalone-os.img onto the Yocto device partition (it was /dev/sda2/ in my case with the dd command). I thought I got a heart attack, but fortunately after applying the dd command properly exactly in the blogpost I was able to boot into the SWUpdate. And I knew that update will reconstruct the /dev/sda2.
2. When I had to setup the network fromt he host to the SWUpdater, my network device name wasn't usb0, but another one. I'm writing this because it may help others. If you look at the dmesg, you may see a line:
[18970.517507] rndis_host 1-14:1.0 enp0s20f0u14: renamed from usb0
So I needed to use that enp0s20f0u14, which beautiful name refers to what USB hubs it comes through the USB subsystem.

All is good so far.