Spanish iPhone/iPad translation

Michel Cochegrus

Sep 7, 2010, 11:27:07 AM9/7/10
to Ward Tools Development
Hi there,

I am willing to help with the spainsh translation for the iPhone/iPad
version of wardtools. Thanks

Andy Wilbourn

Sep 7, 2010, 11:49:27 AM9/7/10
to ward-to...@googlegroups.com
Great. the MLS files have different headings to be language specific. The legacy iPhone app does not deal with other languages, only English. I have tried to build in to the Blackberry and the Java Desktop converter to the new  database format which is SQLite, to allow for pulling the appropriate resource files for getting the correct information.

So can you give us a little background of your experience by chance? It helps to know what we can call upon you to do.

Some of us use the project to learn, as for me I am not a Java developer by trade, but have learned it building apps for the project. I have played with the Objective-C for iPhone, but just don't find enough time to do more.

There is an issue with the current version of iPhone where the reports are not sorting properly. There is a common reports file for all versions of the legacy app (Windows Mobile, Palm, iPhone versions and is what I call legacy).

Steve and a small team have been working on the Android version which is the only version using the new SQLite database. The iPhone could be made to use it as it supports that DB format, BUT the current iPhone app supports Stake data and there is not a new database format for the Stake data yet. There have been attempts to get Salt Lake to approve an anomyolizing type of routine to take real data and change it is developers can have test data, but they said no.

I have access to Stake data, but did not create the new database and views that are in there to help get the data out easily, Ross did this and he does not have Stake data access (or didn't in the past).

We thought that SQLite would be good for the Blackberry, but only OS 5 and higher support it. The new database format does not support multiple languages either.

So that is a little background, so developers are more vocal in the group than others There are other people who have contributed, but the numbers are not large in number from what I gather.

I did find getting the iPhone verison to compile was a chore. The original project was created with an old version of Xcode (one from Tiger), so I think I got it to work by copying libraries from the Tiger DVD to the development environment. If you are an iPhone developer this may be easy for you, it was a pain for me.

Welcome aboard.

Calvin does have an iPad and has a company that does development of iPhone and iPad apps, so we did talk at one point of a new version, but the project direction may be one to just jump on board with the open source projects the Church has and make those be what people need. There has not been any new apps that I am aware of that are a direct replacement for what Ward Tools does. There are some web based membership directories in beta, but does not give all the same information we have today.

Michel Cochegrus

Sep 7, 2010, 11:59:03 AM9/7/10
to ward-to...@googlegroups.com
I have some experience with databeses but not mobile, but i understand
sql. I toyed with iPhone sdk 3 but i don't have access to a developers
account for the sdk 4. I also have access to stake data since i serve
as second counselor for the stake presidency.

--
Michel Cochegrus

Andy Wilbourn

Sep 7, 2010, 12:03:00 PM9/7/10
to ward-to...@googlegroups.com
I thought the SDK 4 was out, they are about to release (or just did) 4.1. What are your programming languages you know?

Michel Cochegrus

Sep 7, 2010, 1:08:26 PM9/7/10
to ward-to...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I haven't upgraded my SDK but it is out. I know c++, visual basic, java, but i can learn specific languages, i mayored in software engineering.
--
Michel Cochegrus