Fw: Lucy Cohen memorial panel

Terry Redding

Jul 8, 2021, 7:48:22 PM7/8/21
to wap...@googlegroups.com
Hi all;

This was posted today on the AAA listserv... Thanks to Mari Clarke for forwarding.

Colleagues,

Dr. Lucy M. Cohen (Professor Emerita, Catholic University of America) passed away on July 2, 2021. She earned a PhD in Cultural Anthropology in 1966, taught for more than 40 years at Catholic University of America, and mentored a large number of undergraduate and graduate students. She understood herself primarily as an applied medical anthropologist. This led her to be consultant for the Pan American Health Organization, Chief of Program Evaluation at the Community Health Center in Washington, DC, research associate at the Smithsonian, health scientist at the National Institute of Mental Health, and other forms of professional engagement. Her service for anthropology was remarkable. For example, she has been secretary of the SMA and president of the same association as well as the Anthropological Society of Washington, DC. Her extensive and distinguished service was recognized by the Society for Applied Anthropology, bestowing upon her in 2008 the Sol Tax Distinguished Service Award.

Raúl Sanchez Molina (ersa...@fsof.uned.es, Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia, Madrid) and I (alexande...@creighton.edu, Creighton University, Omaha) organize a session in honor of Dr. Cohen at the 2022 annual meeting of the Society for Applied Anthropology. While we have not yet decided on the specifics of the panel, the panel will integrate an emphasis on Dr. Cohen as a teacher, mentor, and colleague with the impact and legacy of her applied scholarship.

We would like to invite those of you whose personal and/or professional lives were significantly influenced by Dr. Cohen to consider actively participating in the panel. Please email us directly if you would like to participate. We can then together determine the format and focus of the panel. The panel can have a formal "academic" format but we can also explore creative and innovative formats, such as storytelling.

Best,
Raúl and Alex

Dr. Lucy Cohen

    ------------------------------
    Alexander Rödlach
    Chair
    Creighton University, Department of Cultural and Social Studies
    Omaha NE
    (402)598-3576
      Reply to Group Online   View Thread   Recommend   Forward

    Mari H. Clarke
    SKYPE: mari.clarke1
    mobile: 571-234-3744