Program of Interest from Outside of WAPA

1 view

mta...@verizon.net

Jan 29, 2023, 8:40:35 PM1/29/23
to wap...@googlegroups.com, Priscilla Linn, Priscilla Linn, Andrew Walsh

Here’s the invitation! Thanks again for helping to spread the word … Andrew

Click here to register for this upcoming event: https://forms.gle/K8F511qL6CUHbhuYA

On Monday, February 6 at 3pm EST (New York time), the AAA’s IG on NGOs and Non-Profits will be hosting another Zoom event focusing on Anthropology/NGOs dilemmas.

This time, Dr. Lorena Gibson (https://people.wgtn.ac.nz/lorena.gibson) has kindly agreed to present a case that raises issues/concerns familiar to many. What do we do when the NGOs we’re working with fail?  More here:

What do we do when the NGOs we are working with for our research fail? Does that spell failure for our research projects? What happens to ethnographic research when the NGOs we work with spend more time dealing with conflict, tension, distrust, disappointment, and failure than they do pursuing their social justice goals? What are the implications of researchers being able to write about failure in ways that will ultimately benefit their careers, while the NGOs themselves have fallen apart? How do we re-orient our knowledge in these situations? In this session I share my experiences of working with community-based NGOs and reflect on my decision to end a research project without producing any publications (an academic failure). I hope to inspire discussions about what constitutes failure in NGO and academic settings, and how we might write ethnographically – and ethically – about failure. The session will begin with a brief introduction to the case at hand followed by a moderated discussion (in which all attendees are welcome to participate) of relevant issues and experiences.

Thanks in advance to all for helping spread the word. Remember that attendees do not have to be members of the AAA to attend. They do have to register, however, so I know where to send the Zoom link.

The registration again is:  https://forms.gle/K8F511qL6CUHbhuYA

Andrew Walsh, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology