Somebody working on implementing WAMP on Arduino?

Francesco Longo

Jul 13, 2017, 9:58:03 AM7/13/17
to wam...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
as per this email subject I'm wondering if somebody is working on implementing the WAMP protocol as an Arduino sketch library or if there is already something similar available. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about running WAMP on the microprocessor side of an Arduino YUN but from a sketch running on the microcontroller of, for example, an Arduino UNO WiFi.

Thanks for the attention.

Best,
Francesco

Dr. Francesco Longo, PhD

Assistant Professor @ Department of Engineering, University of Messina
address: Contrada di Dio, S. Agata - 98166, Messina, Italy

Co-founder @ SmartMe.io s.r.l.
address: Via Osservatorio, 1 - 98121, Messina, Italy
VAT number: 03457040834

Tobias Oberstein

Jul 13, 2017, 10:44:45 AM7/13/17
to wam...@googlegroups.com, Francesco Longo
Hi Francesco,

Am 13.07.2017 um 15:58 schrieb Francesco Longo:
> Dear all,
> as per this email subject I'm wondering if somebody is working on
> implementing the WAMP protocol as an Arduino sketch library or if there is

I am not aware of something like that, and a full WAMP implementation
would probably quite hard (if possible at all - for various reasons).

What we (Crossbar.io) will tackle instead is an AutobahnC with target
devices:

https://github.com/crossbario/autobahn-c/issues/9

A 8-bit 8kB RAM device is not a feasible target I think for full WAMP -
at least AutobahnC won't target it ..

The ESP32 is a fantastic device. <5 USD. Dual-core, 520kB RAM, greate
Wifi MAC, fully TLS capable, ..

AutobahnC is currently the last Autobahn we (Crossbar.io) will provide.
The last we added (not really announced yet even): AutobahnJava with
full WAMP v2, TLS and running on Android _and_ Java 8 / JVM. Works
already, will be announced soonish.

> already something similar available. Just to be clear, I'm not talking
> about running WAMP on the microprocessor side of an Arduino YUN but from a
> sketch running on the microcontroller of, for example, an Arduino UNO WiFi.
Those Wifi on a chip solutions really suck in my experience / view:
stability/compatibility of the Wifi (and to a degree also TCP) plus lack
of reasonable modern, bug free TLS.

Just my 2 cts,
Tobias

Francesco Longo

Jul 13, 2017, 11:36:42 AM7/13/17
to Tobias Oberstein, wam...@googlegroups.com, Dario Bruneo, Giovanni Merlino
Hi Tobias,
thanks for quick reply. So you are targeting ST Nucleo boards! Super!

CCing some of my colleagues that will be happy to know that and also the support for Android.

Best,
Francesco

Tobias Oberstein

Jul 13, 2017, 11:50:49 AM7/13/17
to wam...@googlegroups.com, Francesco Longo, Dario Bruneo, Giovanni Merlino, bodens...@blacbird.de
Am 13.07.2017 um 17:36 schrieb Francesco Longo:
> Hi Tobias,
> thanks for quick reply. So you are targeting ST Nucleo boards! Super!

Yes.

Just be aware: STM32 F7 (!)

Because only that device line has enough RAM for full TCP/TLS (actually,
FreeRTOS, lwIP, mbedTLS).

I consider any (internet) connected device not employing latest crypto
(TLS 1.2 ..) broken by design.

PS: sorry, I still need to answer the offer to help on the RFC - I just
can't get ahead of my work queue =( It is on my list, feeling bad. I
want to answer thoroughly. A lot of stuff happening on the company side
too right now. Anyways, thanks guys!

Tobias Oberstein

Jul 13, 2017, 11:51:00 AM7/13/17
to wam...@googlegroups.com, Francesco Longo, Dario Bruneo, Giovanni Merlino, bodens...@blacbird.de
Am 13.07.2017 um 17:36 schrieb Francesco Longo:
> Hi Tobias,
> thanks for quick reply. So you are targeting ST Nucleo boards! Super!

Yes.

Just be aware: STM32 F7 (!)

Because only that device line has enough RAM for full TCP/TLS (actually,
FreeRTOS, lwIP, mbedTLS).

I consider any (internet) connected device not employing latest crypto
(TLS 1.2 ..) broken by design.

PS: sorry, I still need to answer the offer to help on the RFC - I just
can't get ahead of my work queue =( It is on my list, feeling bad. I
want to answer thoroughly. A lot of stuff happening on the company side
too right now. Anyways, thanks guys!

Francesco Longo

Jul 15, 2017, 10:05:07 AM7/15/17
to Tobias Oberstein, wam...@googlegroups.com, Dario Bruneo, Giovanni Merlino, bodens...@blacbird.de
Hi Tobias,
no problem at all about the RFC. We can talk about that anytime you want.

Hope the stuff happening in the company is super cool! ;-)

By the way, meet smartme.io our new university spinoff! We offer services about Cloud (mainly OpenStack) and IoT. We are looking for partnerships and projects so we can talk also about that whenever possible.

Ciao,
Francesco

Francesco Longo

Oct 14, 2017, 6:46:56 AM10/14/17
to Tobias Oberstein, wam...@googlegroups.com, Dario Bruneo, Giovanni Merlino, bodens...@blacbird.de
Dear Tobias,
we are going forward in enhancing our WAMP-based IoT framework and we are in the process of evaluating technologies for managing ESP32 and STM32 -based devices.

I had a look at AutobahnC and it seems a great idea! However if I'm not wrong there is no usable code in the repo. Am I missing something?

Do you have any plan about when you are going to release it?

Thank you very much,
Francesco