What I'm Reading

James Wamathai

Jun 25, 2012, 4:31:48 AM6/25/12
to wamathai-...@googlegroups.com
About a month ago i read and finished a small book of short stories by South Sudanese writer Victor Lugala titled 'Vomiting Stolen Food'. The title story is a tale of post war South Sudan and the emergence of the haves and have nots. The story is told with such beautiful description and observation with no dialogue. I don't want to get into it too much because a review of it will be on my website soon. I'm told that the book is not available in Kenya at this moment in time and if you'd like to read it just give me a shout.

Since that book, i've been struggling finish Chimamanda's 'The Thing Around Your Neck'. She is an amazing writer and i always marvel at her imagination and her ability to effortlessly carry the story forward. However, in this book the stories somehow sound & feel the same. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, my favourite story is 'Cell-one' told through a little girl whose big brother Nnambia is arrested for being a suspected cult member and who was among other cult members who shot three boys in his University. The story takes us to his incaceration and what happens to him there and ends with a moment of rebellion which leads to a sort of profound awakening that surprises even his sister.

Joyce

Jun 25, 2012, 11:15:45 AM6/25/12
to wamathai-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm in South Sudan and would love to read that book!

I understand your feelings about, 'The Thing Around Your Neck'. The stories are not as gripping as those in her novels. I thought that perhaps she just does better in longer stories!

Charlie

Jun 26, 2012, 9:23:27 AM6/26/12
to wamathai-...@googlegroups.com
I've just started reading The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd. I had read and absolutely loved "The Secret Life of Bees" so when my sister spotted "The Mermaid Chair" on the street she grabbed it for me. Will review it when I'm done reading.

Ruth Lucinde

Jun 27, 2012, 6:45:53 AM6/27/12
to wamathai-...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,
I 'm sure at some point in your lives all of you read,Encounters form Africa-an anthology of African Stories.Well I was reading something about the writer of Africa Kill Her Sun,Ken Saro-Wiwa and I discovered that his story was actually a satirical foreshadowing of his death.So,I decided to re-read the story as well as the others.It feels like I'm doing it again for the first time.Okay,bye.

James Wamathai

Jun 27, 2012, 3:38:24 PM6/27/12
to wamathai-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Joyce,

I'll definitely hook you up. Hola when you get back and I'll hook you up.

James Wamathai

Jun 27, 2012, 3:40:46 PM6/27/12
to wamathai-...@googlegroups.com
I haven't read either of the two. Can't wait for a review of 'the Mermaid Chair'. I've watched the movie 'The Secret Life of bees' and i must say it didn't make me have an interest in reading the book. Is the book any good?

Charlie

Jun 28, 2012, 1:45:34 AM6/28/12
to wamathai-...@googlegroups.com
James,

I haven't watched the movie for The Secret Life of Bees. I have to say that I like very few movie adaptations. Even when I like the movie, I feel like there is something missing especially if I loved the book. So yes I would recommend The Secret Life of Bees.

Charlie

Aug 6, 2012, 2:18:24 AM8/6/12
to wamathai-...@googlegroups.com
So I finally finished the "The Mermaid Chair" a few weeks ago and just forgot to review it. It's about a married woman (Jessie) who falls in love with a Benedictine monk (Brother Thomas) when she goes back home to take care of her mother who chopped off her finger. Its not a typical chic-lit love story though. The book explores several themes:

  • Friendship- The friendship between Jessie's mom Nelle and her 2 closest friends.
  • Art
  • Spirituality- This is a main theme in the book.
  • Sex and adultery
  • Love-The love for oneself, married love and the love of a child and parent.

All in all it was an enjoyable read..What I loved about the book was how the author delved into Jessie's emotions and her relationship with herself, her estranged mother, her husband and her art. I also enjoyed the discussion on the various religions and what people have done over the years in pursuit of religion.

Charlie.

Dennis Kioko

Aug 20, 2012, 6:07:47 AM8/20/12
to wamathai-...@googlegroups.com

Just finished reading Gerald Seymour's "The Walking Dead" , which itself I don't know if it is an accomplishment or a let down due to the few books I ever read nowadays.

The book is based off our modern world of terrorist plots, and spans a bid of a group to export their works from the Middle East to Europe amidst the counter terror operatives mean to stop them.

The book also has several stories within the main story including a tale of a soldier who joined the Fascist wing of the Spanish Civil War.

There is also a sub plot on a two criminals facing a jury for robbery with violence.

I found the beginning of the book quite irritating (happens a lot) where I felt the author was unnecessarily prolonging scenes, but here he was switching scenes so frequently it was a pain to follow through.

However the story does gain flow later on, though I feel the author draws the book to a quick close and should have put more post plot writing.