Is the Wal-E project inactive?

Akshil Verma

Jan 28, 2019, 7:23:14 AM1/28/19
to wa...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have recently stumbled upon the Wal-E project and I saw that the last commit on the github repository was on April 20, 2018, ie., more than 9 months ago, but everywhere on the net (various forums) Wal-E is the go to tool for Postgres disaster recovery.
I was just wondering whether the project is now inactive, or whether the project is mature enough that until a breaking change from Postgres comes along, a new commit is not required?
Also, if the project is inactive, is Wal-G the project that I should be looking at (because Wal-G claims to be the Wal-E successor) ?

Best regards,
Akshil Verma

Daniel Farina

Jan 28, 2019, 5:55:29 PM1/28/19
to akshil...@gmail.com, wal-e
WAL-E is inactive. I don't really have time to work on it anymore. I still, however, rely on it extensively. I just don't have the time to keep it modern and make more improvements: it's fine as-is for what I do.

WAL-G is not polished for casual use, but used on at least one very large installation. It is actively maintained by those parties. I would use it if you are willing to do some programming and look at some source code, though you may not have to.