"choose from" list is far too long

Reuben Thomas

Jun 1, 2012, 6:12:24 PM6/1/12
to wa...@googlegroups.com
Even if wajig still accepts upper-case commands, remove all duplicates
from the "choose from" list, and just leave the commands in their
canonical form, i.e. lower case without hyphens. Otherwise the list is
just a huge mess.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe

Jun 1, 2012, 6:38:56 PM6/1/12
to wa...@googlegroups.com
sidenote: Reuben refers to the error message that appears when one
enters a non-existent subcommand.

I did get rid of it accepting upper-case subcommands. It's just an
oversight that they still appear. As for other aliases, how about
simply removing them... find the best name for a subcommand, and stick
with it? Else, what's the point of the alias if we are not going to
document it?

Reuben Thomas

Jun 1, 2012, 6:43:09 PM6/1/12
to wa...@googlegroups.com
I am happy with that suggestion in principle, but worry that it may
upset those used to aliases. But I would suggest that a reasonable
step is to remove aliases where the "main" command is a command of
another program (apt-get etc.).

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe

Jun 1, 2012, 6:52:13 PM6/1/12
to wa...@googlegroups.com
BTW note that that help message is auto-generated, and I wouldn't know
how to trim what it displays.

Anyways, the duplicates (displayed) that should definitely go are
those with hyphens though. It doesn't make sense to display both
"list-sections'" and "listsections". If you can open a Debian
bugreport, and then maybe someone with better Python skills than me
can do a fix for us.

Reuben Thomas

Jun 1, 2012, 6:55:24 PM6/1/12
to wa...@googlegroups.com
On 1 June 2012 23:52, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyways, the duplicates (displayed) that should definitely go are
> those with hyphens though. It doesn't make sense to display both
> "list-sections'" and "listsections". If you can open a Debian
> bugreport, and then maybe someone with better Python skills than me
> can do a fix for us.

If you just filter out uppercase and hyphenated members of the list,
that is a good start.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe

Jun 1, 2012, 9:14:06 PM6/1/12
to wa...@googlegroups.com
An easy one was getting rid of the uppercase ones (pushed to VCS). The
hyphenated one needs some looking into argparse documentation/code.