Case of commands

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Reuben Thomas

unread,
Apr 10, 2012, 3:40:22 PM4/10/12
to wa...@googlegroups.com
The longer I have to struggle with them, the less I like the new
upper-case commands. The latest problem is that the bash-completion
code doesn't recognise lower-case commands for completion of
arguments, e.g.

wajig remove linux-<TAB>

does nothing. Yes, I could rewrite the bash-completion code to work,
but do we REALLY want upper-case commands when none of the commands
which wajig covers for, or indeed any other command with a similar
COMMAND SUB-COMMAND syntax, uses upper-case sub-commands?

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org

Karl Schmidt

unread,
Apr 10, 2012, 7:07:47 PM4/10/12
to wa...@googlegroups.com
On 04/10/2012 02:40 PM, Reuben Thomas wrote:
>
> wajig remove linux-<TAB>
>
> does nothing. Yes, I could rewrite the bash-completion code to work,
> but do we REALLY want upper-case commands when none of the commands
> which wajig covers for, or indeed any other command with a similar
> COMMAND SUB-COMMAND syntax, uses upper-case sub-commands?

I agree with Reuben ... reminds me of DOS - not sophistication..


--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Karl Schmidt EMail Ka...@xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc. WEB http://secure.transtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049 FAX (785) 841-0434

While understanding one's problems may be a good thing; it doesn't make them go away. -kps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe

unread,
Apr 11, 2012, 4:42:42 AM4/11/12
to wa...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 21:40, Reuben Thomas <r...@sc3d.org> wrote:
> The longer I have to struggle with them, the less I like the new
> upper-case commands. The latest problem is that the bash-completion
> code doesn't recognise lower-case commands for completion of
> arguments, e.g.
>
> wajig remove linux-<TAB>

I never noticed, since I normally tab-complete my subcommands. To me,
it's just another bug.

> does nothing. Yes, I could rewrite the bash-completion code to work,
> but do we REALLY want upper-case commands when none of the commands
> which wajig covers for, or indeed any other command with a similar
> COMMAND SUB-COMMAND syntax, uses upper-case sub-commands?

I do like it, so -1 from me.

However, if there's enough people opposed, I'll get rid of this madness :)

Graham Williams

unread,
Apr 11, 2012, 8:25:09 AM4/11/12
to wa...@googlegroups.com

While we're voting, I do prefer lower case. Upper case is for shouting
at people :-)

Regards,
Graham

Graham Williams

unread,
Apr 11, 2012, 4:35:39 PM4/11/12
to wa...@googlegroups.com
On 11 April 2012 22:25, Graham Williams <Graham....@togaware.com> wrote:
> On 11 April 2012 18:42, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 21:40, Reuben Thomas <r...@sc3d.org> wrote:
>>> The longer I have to struggle with them, the less I like the new
>>> upper-case commands. The latest problem is that the bash-completion
>>> code doesn't recognise lower-case commands for completion of
>>> arguments, e.g.
[...]

>>
>> I do like it, so -1 from me.
>>
>> However, if there's enough people opposed, I'll get rid of this madness :)
>
> While we're voting, I do prefer lower case. Upper case is for shouting
> at people :-)

I should say though that in the documentation I do like to use the
upper case version to ensure the commands easily stand out. So for
example in "wajig commands" I do like the commands being listed in
upper case.

Personally I rather like wajig being flexible in ignoring case and
words separated by "-".

Thanks for the new release Tshepang. It looks great.

Regards,
Graham

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe

unread,
Apr 11, 2012, 5:07:09 PM4/11/12
to wa...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 22:35, Graham Williams

<Graham....@togaware.com> wrote:
> On 11 April 2012 22:25, Graham Williams <Graham....@togaware.com> wrote:
>> On 11 April 2012 18:42, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 21:40, Reuben Thomas <r...@sc3d.org> wrote:
>>>> The longer I have to struggle with them, the less I like the new
>>>> upper-case commands. The latest problem is that the bash-completion
>>>> code doesn't recognise lower-case commands for completion of
>>>> arguments, e.g.
> [...]
>>>
>>> I do like it, so -1 from me.
>>>
>>> However, if there's enough people opposed, I'll get rid of this madness :)
>>
>> While we're voting, I do prefer lower case. Upper case is for shouting
>> at people :-)
>
> I should say though that in the documentation I do like to use the
> upper case version to ensure the commands easily stand out. So for
> example in "wajig commands" I do like the commands being listed in
> upper case.

That's the reason I decided to have them be auto-completable... sort
of an extension of the documentation.

> Personally I rather like wajig being flexible in ignoring case and
> words separated by "-".
>
> Thanks for the new release Tshepang. It looks great.

Thanks a lot, although I forgot to change output of "wajig -V" to 2.5
(it's at 2.5~pre). Damn! That's why people write release checklists.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages