any way to downgrade firmware?

inv2004

Apr 24, 2019, 1:32:56 PM4/24/19
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Hello,

Are there any way to dowgrade firmware? ,because of the problem: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/wahoo-elemnt-users/d-jDD5VZzFc/1s1UIbrRCgAJ

Bolt is unusable piece of plastic right now, created support ticket, but its hard to understand when it will be fixed.

Regards,

Rambo 2000

Apr 24, 2019, 2:20:38 PM4/24/19
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
You are a experienced android/linux dev? Read this: https://joshua0.dreamwidth.org/65779.html
The elemnt downloads the firmware from this location: http://bolt.wahoofitness.com/boltapp/version.json-bolt

The december version is there: http://bolt.wahoofitness.com/boltapp/2171/BoltApp.apk
You could try to install it with adb. Google for adb, install, apk.

Good luck. Be careful and i don't know if this works. No guarantee if you destroy your device.

inv2004

Apr 25, 2019, 12:18:10 AM4/25/19
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Rambo 2000,

Thank you,
it was quite easy: adb install -d -r BoltApp.apk.

Without -r it failed with ALREADY_EXISTS error, I was trying adb uninstall com.wahoofitness.bolt, but looks like it caused restoration of the 2159 (not 2659).

The only nervous moment was that during the install wahoo wrote something like "error during installation", its a bit strange, because adb returned success.

You saved bolt from trash-bin :)

additional problem: as soon as it connected to wifi it downloaded new firmware and updated after power-off, thats why I added the bolt.wahoofitness.com into router firewall (Im not sure if it would broke any other uploads)

Regards,

Rambo 2000

Apr 25, 2019, 1:37:08 AM4/25/19
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Have you tried to disable wifi in the wahoo app?
If you have root access you could look at the device storage. Somewhere wahoo stores the downloaded apks for restoring.I don't remember the folder. There are many xml files for storing the settings: "\data\data\com.wahoofitness.bolt\shared_prefs". There you can enable developer mode, wifi and some other things.

Hopefully we will get a recovery from wahoo soon:

inv2004

Apr 25, 2019, 10:57:12 PM4/25/19
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
I can confirm that adding bolt.wahoofitness.com into block-list does not block any strava uploads from wahoo bolt.

Also, Im sure that 2171 is much better when the latest firmware, but ...
after 2nd interval and stop and stop-light I found that numbers on my 3rd interval is lower than it should be, that is why I believe something like auto-zero were activated before it. After that I recalibrated srm manually and next intervals I have ok numbers.

Regards,

inv2004

May 3, 2019, 1:30:44 AM5/3/19
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Looks like its time to try to upload 3072/BoltApp.apk (roam) into bolt :)

Rambo 2000

May 3, 2019, 9:39:48 AM5/3/19
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
You had luck with your try?
It's possible to analyse the apk sourcecode with jadx: https://github.com/skylot/jadx Last year i try to modify the apk with APK Easy Tool, but i had no luck. Install failed.

Herman Janssen

Sep 20, 2019, 5:04:06 PM9/20/19
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Hi Inv2004,

Can you help me with this adb command.
If I do adb devices I get "ID of my device     offline"
So if I try the "adb install " command it fails because it's offline.
What am I doing wrong? I started the Bolt normally (not fastboot) and then connected the cable. Should I do some magic setting on the bold so it will accept the adb command?

Herman Janssen

Sep 20, 2019, 6:11:21 PM9/20/19
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Never mind, I had a waayyyyyy outdated version of adb.
It's working now.

Herman Janssen

Sep 21, 2019, 3:42:23 AM9/21/19
to Wahoo ELEMNT users

Thanks to Ramboo 2000 and inv2004 in different posts, I made an overview how to downgrade the firmware of your Bolt.

Do this at your own risk!

Download the firmware you want. To download type this in your browser:

http://bolt.wahoofitness.com/boltapp/2171/BoltApp.apk

Change the 2171 for the version number you want. Be aware: if you enter a not existing version number, the server will change the number to an existing one. So look carefully which version you download in the end.

Download apk.exe (and some other files) from:

https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html

Choose just the command line tools: Download SDK Platform-Tools for Windows

Extract it to a folder on your pc.

Now, connect the Bolt to your pc. Open windows Explorer and first delete the folder XXXX on the Bolt in:

USB storage\system_update_elemnt\XXXX

XXXX is the version number that is on your device right now. If not, the Bolt will automatically update back to that version.

Now you will get root with this steps:

- disconnect bolt from computer

- start bolt

- enter settings menu (power button on the Bolt)

- leave settings menu (power button on the Bolt)

- connect bolt with computer

Open a command prompt window, and go to your folder where you have adb.exe. Also copy the BoltApp.apk in that folder (you downloaded this in the first step)

if you do everthing right type the command:

adb devices

shows something like this:

List of devices attached

<DeviceId>        device

if it went wrong:

List of devices attached

<DeviceId>        unauthorized

Make sure your ADB version is up to date. I got the message with an outdated version:

adb devices:

<deviceID>     offline

Now we are actually going to install the old version.

Type:

adb install -d -r BoltApp.apk.

Wait for it to install. It will then automatically reboot afterwards.

Without -r it failed with ALREADY_EXISTS error.

The only nervous moment was that during the install. On the Bolt Wahoo wrote something like "error during installation", its a bit strange, because adb returned success.

Now your Bolt has an old firmware.

Good luck.

Martin Jaeger-Kantyka

Sep 23, 2019, 9:19:25 AM9/23/19
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
do not play around too much in the root because changes to the files don't allow OTA updates later on , secure feature of MTK

Wahoo Murray

Sep 30, 2019, 11:12:15 AM9/30/19
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
DO NOT downgrade you app, you have a very high chance of breaking it, while you won't brick the unit, it's very easy to stop it from functioning correctly.

Wahoo Murray

Sep 30, 2019, 11:15:54 AM9/30/19
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
inv2004 What's your support ticket and I will help you out.

thematrickx

May 10, 2020, 7:19:43 AM5/10/20
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Thanks, I followed the downgrade procedure, and my Bolt is now showing again correct speed and cadence.
This was screwed up by last update: BOLT WB15-7502 - 6 May, 2020.
So I downgraded to WB15-7082 and everything is fine again.

Doug Skoldberg

May 11, 2020, 3:31:01 PM5/11/20
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
I'm having the same issue after the 7502 update on May 9, 2020.  I would like to get back to the 7082 version.  I'm an Apple MacBook Air user with a iPhone 11.  While I'm a little technical I'm not as advanced as the guys on this blog.  Do you have any step by step suggestions?  I have an open ticket with Wahoo but they seem to be as helpful as the guys I left behind in Garmin.

Doug Skoldberg

May 11, 2020, 3:33:17 PM5/11/20
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
If any Wahoo support guys come to this site my ticket is Ticket 741534

thematrickx

May 11, 2020, 3:43:23 PM5/11/20
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/wahoo-elemnt-users/wLOiXwLbg8k/5eGAHenrAAAJ

I downgraded as explained in the post above by Herman Janssen.

If you are not sure what you are doing, I would suggest, you wait for new firmware that hopefully will fix the problem.

Doug Skoldberg

May 11, 2020, 3:49:21 PM5/11/20
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
OK, thanks I better wait for Wahoo support as I'm not comfortable I can pull that off.  What's frustrating is they emailed me this morning, I sent them the ride files they were looking for and now they don't respond to email and the phone in number (which I called 5X) disconnects after 1 minute.

Doug Skoldberg

May 12, 2020, 12:08:10 PM5/12/20
to Wahoo ELEMNT users

Joseph (Wahoo Fitness Support)

May 12, 2020, 8:57:26 AM EDT

Hi Doug

Thank you very much for taking the time to report this issue and send the data. Our developers were able to fast track the fix for the ROAM first and the BOLT followed early this morning. Both fixes are in the 7505 versions of the firmware. All you should need to do is update the BOLT.

 Please let us know if anything else comes up.

Thanks

Joseph

1bi

May 17, 2020, 1:31:28 PM5/17/20
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
7075 is a scrap. Now my bolt device doesn't recognize home trainer.

Any way to downgrade the firmware?

1bi

May 17, 2020, 1:57:34 PM5/17/20
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
How do you manage it to get 7082 version?
following downgrade procedure, I can't get that version. I got message 404 not found.....no way.
Besides, ADB doesn't work...it shows unauthorized.
This is frustrating.

Regards,
Message has been deleted

Sean Molin

Mar 22, 2021, 9:35:18 PMMar 22
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Wow. Thank you so much for this. I have spent HOURS with my ELEMNT trying to upgrade the firmware and I was able to use this advice after I had exhausted any and ALL possibilities. I've had my ELEMNT almost 4 years and never had problems with updates until today. It's been 6 months since I last updated (8848 or similar) and my ELEMNT today would tell me 10643 was available, but would simply just check and check and check and... prompt for a retry... and check and check and check.. and nothing.

I tried different phones. So many factory resets. Deleting the system_update_elemnt folder over and over again. Changing router settings constantly. Deleted all the maps. I mean, you name it. I did everything.

But the only thing that seems to have worked is manually downloading the most recent .apk, and using terminal and ADB on my Mac to force install. I also got the "installation failed" on my device, but version numbers are good and everything appears to be working as expected.

DT Mueller

Mar 23, 2021, 5:15:07 PMMar 23
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Sean....what you describe is exactly what I was going through yesterday with a brand new ROAM.   (I've had an original ELEMNT for about the same time as you, but bought the ROAM yesterday).  It would NOT update Firmware no matter what hoops I jumped through.
Then, this morning, I fired it up, checked for updates, and it updated flawlessly.
I think something was wonky with the Wahoo servers yesterday.  IMHO.