Map detail

ali...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2016, 8:41:04 AM3/7/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Received, setup - it's been on wifi for hours and updated firmware ok -   and first steps outdoors and 'hmm this is a pretty bad basemap'

Others seem to be seeing more detail from screenshots - what am I missing?

Dan Kothlow

Mar 7, 2016, 11:15:31 AM3/7/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
I have yet to have a road name show up for me.
But, then again, I live in a pretty rural area of SE Alabama.
I'm sure it's great to have "the whole world except for Russia and China", but I don't plan on riding anytime soon in Argentina (no offense), so I don't need that area on my device. I'd rather have more detail for where I am.
It would be nice if we could somehow push more detailed maps for specific areas.

Drew Eckhardt

Mar 7, 2016, 11:51:43 AM3/7/16
to wahoo-ele...@googlegroups.com
That could be a data or display issue.

What level of detail shows up when you look at your area looking at the opencyclemap maps which show up at ridewithgps when you select "OSM Cycle" in the map drop down and zoom in?  The ELEMNT uses the Open Street Maps, and their cycle map seems the most logical of the three road/outdoor/bike options.

Small mountain roads aren't named on those maps for me on the ridewithgps web site until I zoom in until the map window is 3 miles wide, and trails take twice that zoom.

I'll see what happens when my unit gets here - it left for California from Georgia on Friday March 4th.

ali...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2016, 12:10:43 PM3/7/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
and... after playing around..

- cyclestreet maps are great. and that's not the issue.

On the E - pages, routes  scrolled up/down and i remember a map option being there. for the life of me I can't see it now (despite a restart)..

I loaded up a few places  (guessing they take a while to download..) - no progress bar.

Maybe this should be in the fix thread...

Wahoo Murray

Mar 7, 2016, 6:49:22 PM3/7/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
ELEMNT doesn't just have "Base Maps", the device has full detail maps pre-installed, all roads, paths, tracks and trails from OpenSteetMap data.

We do not show street names for any roads due to it being not readable on the black and white screen.

Drew Eckhardt

Mar 7, 2016, 7:08:08 PM3/7/16
to wahoo-ele...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, Wahoo's "live tracking" mockup http://www.wahoofitness.com/media/catalog/product/e/l/elmnt_frontupdated_livetracking_v2.jpg on the official product page http://www.wahoofitness.com/gps-bike-computer-elemnt.html  shows street names alongside roads which would theoretically be readable when zoomed in far enough:  I pulled the larger version from the dcrainmaker review.

or

Wahoo Murray

Mar 7, 2016, 7:22:17 PM3/7/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Thanks Drew, I will get the screenshots replaced so it doesn't cause any confusion. We have a few ideas on street names but nothing to share right now.

John B

Mar 8, 2016, 1:16:38 PM3/8/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
I'm probably in the minority these days, but my main priority with a bike GPS/computer is navigating. With that in mind, I would really like to be able to see street names (I was also under the impression they were visible from the D.C. Rainmaker review). I also find it invaluable to be able to pan around on the map, so I would like to add that as a major feature request (IIRC, I think Wahoo Murray commented on the Rainmaker review that that isn't possible).

-- John (waiting on his Elemnt to arrive)

Drew Eckhardt

Mar 8, 2016, 4:14:18 PM3/8/16
to wahoo-ele...@googlegroups.com
>I'm probably in the minority these days, but my main priority with a bike GPS/computer is navigating. With that in mind, I would really like to be able to see street names (I was also under the impression they were visible from the D.C. Rainmaker review). I also find it invaluable to be able to pan around on the map, so I would like to add that as a major feature request (IIRC, I think Wahoo Murray commented on the Rainmaker review that that isn't possible).

I'm on the same page.

The three buttons across the bottom (x axis) and two on the side (y axis) would work great to move around a map with the middle bottom button toggling the right side rocker between up/down and zoom in/out.

My three  main use cases are
- Exporting rides (outdoor or trainer) to Golden Cheetah via .FIT files which my Garmin Edge 500 does great

- An odometer so I know at a glance when my right shift cable is due for replacement

- Navigating on unsupported solo rides which last longer than daylight where neither my Garmin (breadcrumbs only, cannot run while charging) nor Samsung Galaxy (bad battery life, not good with off-line maps, capacitive touch screen goes spastic in rain) works well.

I want road names, surfaces (dirt/gravel) and bike-route or not (all available as Open Street Map attributes), and to be able to look out then zoom in 100 miles in any direction in case I need to re-route without depending on my phone functioning correctly.

It'd also be nice to be able to see Open Cycle Map features (water sources and convenience stores) when zoomed out because they'll impact alternate route selection.

ali...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2016, 6:31:10 PM3/8/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
hi Murray,

I have a case opened for this - the map debug menu shows they have not been downloaded - i've forced the issue - they're on the device now (yay) but they are not being shown..
awaiting a response again.

Wahoo Murray

Mar 8, 2016, 7:52:43 PM3/8/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Ali,

Yeah you shouldn't be messing with the Map debug menu, it doesn't mean they haven't been downloaded, they just haven't been registered.

What is missing exactly? Can you give me a Lat/Lng value and a description and I can have a look.

Murray

ali...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2016, 7:00:12 AM3/9/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Hi Murray,

see #193126

Central London!

I have to zoom out on the map  it shows the M25 as the lowest level of detail despite the UK map being 'loaded'.

(don't worry about me and any debug, I am very technical)

Wahoo Murray

Mar 11, 2016, 10:50:38 PM3/11/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users

We have found a issue with Maps in London and a couple places in the Netherlands. I am building some updated maps and should have them out by the end of next week.

James Chesher

Mar 13, 2016, 5:22:18 AM3/13/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
I'm in central London and have the same issue as ali.  No detail at all for London.  My understanding was that you'd have full level maps, so this is disappointing.  Means I won't be using the device yet.  More waiting.

Stephen Porter

Mar 13, 2016, 6:42:04 PM3/13/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Drew,

I know this is the ELEMNT forum, but do you know whether the Garmin Edge 1000 (or any of the Edge units) will do all these things.   I want my next bike computer to do all the things you've listed.   I'm HOPING that the ELEMNT gets upgraded to these specs (or close) before I purchase as I'd really like to avoid getting another Garmin.

STP

ali...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2016, 10:12:52 PM3/13/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
and I can confirm this is just the London map - NYC is fine (tho as mentioned elsewhere some road names would be lovely.. the grid system is interesting.. on the elemnt!)

Nate

Mar 14, 2016, 9:12:21 PM3/14/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Murray - I'm sure that you and your team have considered this, but since you can't put every street name on the screen, maybe have a quick "bubble" pop up on the screen while navigating, warning the user of an upcoming turn. For example, "Turn Left at -------- Street" overlaid on the map screen for a few seconds.

Thanks for being here. I've used 5 or 6 different Garmin units, and I hate them with a fiery passion. I can't wait for you to crush them in the cycling GPS market.

Wahoo Murray

Mar 15, 2016, 6:43:30 AM3/15/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
We should be live with a updated app in a few days to fix the maps in London (currently just in final QA testing)

Nate, we are looking at a few options for street names, hopefully we can find a solution that works for everyone.

felix hoddinott

Mar 20, 2016, 5:52:57 AM3/20/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Delighted to confirm last update gave my Elemnt detailed maps for London.  So many thanks for such a prompt update.

Has anyone checked elsewhere in UK yet? I'm off to Wales for Easter and would love to leave my G*** touring at home - I've been waiting over 3 years for them to come back on routing issues. Its very exciting to finally be using a high spec device which is under active development and getting even better so quickly.

Wahoo Murray

Mar 20, 2016, 6:51:12 PM3/20/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Felix, I ran a check on the entire world and fixed issues in London, Paris, Amsterdam and a small location in Germany. Everywhere else is just fine.

Gary Lee

Mar 30, 2016, 11:31:59 AM3/30/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Hi Murray,

I tried using the Elemnt in both Hong Kong & Taipei City last week. The workouts as recorded by the Elemnt were correct but no map or street details were shown on the Map page during the ride. I have reported the case to Wahoo support and was advised to perform a map debug (On the ELEMNT -> maps -> routes -> up button 6x ). Unfortunately, nothing showed up and my questions are:

1. Are Hong Kong & Taiwan covered in the included map of Elemnt?

2. Am I missing something in calling up the map debug feature?

Thanks,

Wahoo Murray

Mar 31, 2016, 12:02:00 AM3/31/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Asian maps will be release in the next few months.

Gary Lee

Mar 31, 2016, 4:58:09 AM3/31/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Thanks Murray.

Amit Green

Apr 6, 2016, 4:28:05 AM4/6/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Hello from Israel.

No maps are show here. Can you please advise?

Chip Hawkins

Apr 8, 2016, 12:06:10 AM4/8/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Hi Amit,

We didn't have quite enough room to fit the whole world.  We'll have a mechanism to manage the loaded maps in the next few months that will allow you to delete unneeded regions and add your own.

thanks,

Chip

The Japanese

Apr 8, 2016, 12:20:39 AM4/8/16
to Wahoo ELEMNT users
Cool - that sounds nice. Will the future maps have more details (street names etc.)?