Integrate Forum Software To Wagtail -- Discourse?

John Morris

Jul 30, 2021, 5:22:54 PM7/30/21
to Wagtail support
Wagtail friends,

We have built a successful Wagtail-based site and wish to add a forum to the site. We have chosen Discourse. Here's a question, based on the assumption that Discourse is quite well known (it has been referenced here in another context):

What is the best way to integrate a Discourse forum instance into Wagtail?

1. IDENTITY MANAGEMENT -- Discourse will be used to perform identity management functions for the site -- there will be no site membership functionality that is not Discourse-driven.

2. FORUM PAGES -- There will be a full discourse page via "forum.domainname.com", with some stylist commonality to the host site. Forum pages will include the usual "list of topics" and "individual topic streams".

3.  CONTENT LINKS -- From front page "content teasers" or "full page content pages" there will be forum question links. These would be say an icon referencing the associated forum topic.

A Good Answer: Could be very simple, something like "there's this API and you just need to make these calls" or whatever the answer is -- and to know that that is possible would be helpful. Or maybe "there are two ways to do it -- and they are different like this . . . "

My role is only to specific what we'd need -- our technical support will actually implement. But of course, if we ask for the right thing, we'll likely get a better answer. My understand right now is "an iFrame is not the right thing". However, we haven't been able to find any guidance on integrating a forum into a Wagtail site -- for ANY forum, not just Discourse. Which is odd, because lots of sites need forums!

Super thanks for any advice!

Go Wagtail!

John

Hazho Human

Aug 1, 2021, 12:57:29 AM8/1/21
to wag...@googlegroups.com

John Morris

Aug 1, 2021, 2:05:39 PM8/1/21
to Wagtail support
Thanks for your kind response. In fact have engaged there and already received some good feedback.

Go Wagtail!

ka...@kgoetz.id.au

Aug 2, 2021, 11:40:49 PM8/2/21
to Wagtail support
Hi John,
I see you've (probably?) already got an answer but thought I'd respond here in public anyway.

Pydiscourse (https://github.com/bennylope/pydiscourse ) provides you with a wrapper to perform all the jobs you mentioned in your initial email. While I haven't used it within a wagtail environment I have integrated it with another Django based application (Tendenci, https://www.tendenci.com/) and can attest to it being an overall successful job.
I should note our usage was much simpler than yours is planned to be.

Disclaimer: I'm a casual contributor to the projects mentioned above.

thanks,
Karl.