How to use documents in pages?

Christian Gagneraud

Jun 10, 2023, 11:46:54 PM6/10/23
to Wagtail support
Hi there,

First of all, congrats to the whole team, i really like Wagtail, it's a very good fit for my project.

The project in question is a website that tells stories about vintage tools.

But to better understand what I'm trying to achieve, let's pretend it's about genealogy as I think this is the best way to describe my use-case using something everyone is familiar with.

Before writing pages/articles, a lot of research needs to be made, like identifying persons with random search on the net, but as well consulting public or private registries from various sources.

At the end of the day, you end up with a bunch of PDF (scan of old documents), and you want to attach them to the article you're writing, ideally with precise location within the document (optional for now), like a citation/reference on Wikipedia.
Another interesting feature would be a sort of gallery of PDF documents, i'm willing to extract 1 image per pdf page and use regular gallery, that would be a poor man's solution.

I can use collections to classify documents, i'm planning to use one collection per source, as sources usual index documents in some shape or form.

Generally speaking, how do you embed these documents in a page, and more importantly how to you manage backup and import/export of all these documents?
I will eventually end up with thousands of documents.

So far i'm quite successful with wagtail apart from managing my migrations w/o breaking the website. I keep having to restart from scratch as i'm not good enough with my migrations.

Thanks a lot,
Chris