Windows 7 pip installation Enviromental Error [2]

JR

Jun 15, 2021, 4:17:57 PM6/15/21
to Wagtail support
i am trying to install on Windows 7, x64. i keep getting this error.  Has anyone installed on Win7 before?  Had this error before?  thanks

Installing collected packages: wagtail
ERROR: Could not install packages due to an OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'c:\\users\\ny_user_name\\documents\\winpython64-3.8.6.0dot\\wpy64-3860\\python-3.8.6.amd64\\Lib\\site-packages\\wagtail\\test\\testapp\\migrations\\0005_customrichblockfieldpage_customrichtextfieldpage_defaultrichblockfieldpage_defaultrichtextfieldpage.py'

Matthew Westcott

Jun 15, 2021, 4:32:22 PM6/15/21
to wag...@googlegroups.com
I suspect you've run into the Windows path length limit:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1880321/why-does-the-260-character-path-length-limit-exist-in-windows
I'm not aware of any way to disable that limit on Windows 7, so your best bet is probably to set up a virtual environment <https://docs.python.org/3/library/venv.html> so that packages get installed into a shorter path, such as c:\users\my_user_name\wagtail .

Cheers,
- Matt
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

JR

Jun 15, 2021, 9:03:23 PM6/15/21
to Wagtail support
Hey Matt

You were correct. I moved the portable Python installation to c:\ and ran the installation with no issues, im up and running.  thanks