do you use a ruby version lower than 1.9.3?

Ethan McCutchen

Feb 10, 2014, 11:54:12 AM2/10/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com, wagn...@googlegroups.com
Note: you can safely ignore this email if you only work with Wagn sites on Cloudstore. This question applies to folks who are maintaining a Wagn installation or installations on their own servers.

Ruby on Rails released version 4 last year, and with that release began requiring ruby version 1.9.3 or higher (ruby 2.0 is "preferred").

Wagn currently uses Rails version 3 (specifically 3.2.16, the latest 3.x.x release), which means it works with ruby version 1.8.7 or later.  We want to start using Rails 4 libraries, but that would mean we couldn't support ruby versions lower than 1.9.3.  Would that be a problem for you?

Each new Ruby and Rails release brings new benefits, so we'll be upgrading soon enough, and definitely before the Wagn 2.0 release.  But it would be nice to know what impact the upgrade is going to have.  If there are a lot of folks who won't be able to upgrade to ruby 1.9.3 or later any time soon, we may opt to release a few more features using Rail 3 libraries.

If this is a problem for you, we'd also appreciate a little context to understand why.  Ruby version management is getting easier and easier with rvm, but we know some legacy hosting systems may not be passing on those gains.

Thanks!
-ethan

--
Ethan McCutchen
One of the Wagneers, Wagn.org

Wagn. How pioneers roll.

s: ethan.mccutchen
t: @intogreater

Ethan McCutchen

Feb 10, 2014, 2:20:26 PM2/10/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com, wagn...@googlegroups.com
FYI, I just pushed out gem version 1.12.10 this morning; we're getting quite close to 1.13, which will be the first formal gem release.

If you decide to deploy as a gem, then there are some upgrade instructions on the new readme page.  I don't expect the Rails 4 upgrade should not impact database migrations.

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:04 PM, pieter vijfvinkel <p.vijf...@kpnmail.nl> wrote:

Hi Ethan,

Don’t think this will be a problem for me. The only issue I have is database-migrations. As you know I ran out of sync a little bit during Q4 of last year. Still have to catch on again. I am not really sure what I run right now, I’ll check tomorrow. Anyway if I can catch on making the appropriate database migrations – I am convinced I’ll be able to run the latest versions of Ruby and Ruby on Rails.

Best regards,

Pieter Vijfvinkel

Tom Brooke

Feb 12, 2014, 11:40:50 AM2/12/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com
I am glad to see the Gem - It should make installation a lot easier

I'm going to give it another try on Openshift