Is there anything better than captcha?

Lora Friedenthal

Jul 3, 2014, 8:37:56 AM7/3/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com
I get a lot of fake account requests. Like 2 a day every day at minimum.

There are some ideas here:

It sucks having so many of these, because it clutters up the recent activity list with just bots signing up for accounts rather than being a real list of legit activity. And, obviously, I have to respond to each request with an email to find out if, by chance, the account request IS actually real, which takes up my time.

-Lora

Ethan McCutchen

Jul 7, 2014, 2:50:05 PM7/7/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com
Cool ideas.

Very soon, next week I hope, we'll finally get Wagn 1.13 out the door, which will mean that all account handling is done in cards.  That, in turn, means all account handling is exposed to the mods API, so it will be much easier to add mods for account-related stuff (including signups, signins, etc).

I definitely see that there's a need for more options here.

I'll be writing more about the changes coming as we lead up to the release.  Would love it if folks were inspired to try to write some mods to tackle new anti-spam solutions!

-e

Ethan McCutchen
One of the Wagneers, Wagn.org

Wagn. How pioneers roll.

s: ethan.mccutchen
t: @intogreater

Mark Dilley

Jul 7, 2014, 4:40:00 PM7/7/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com
I remember preview as helping to get zero spam on a weblog I was part of years ago. (blanking on name of software, pre wordpress, possibly after blogger) install at ArborUpdate.

Is that easily maneuvered around by programming?

Best, Mark

Ethan McCutchen

Jul 9, 2014, 1:15:42 AM7/9/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com
Interesting.  So, in the case of signup (especially open signup), what would we show as a preview?  Account details?  A profile page?

For what it's worth, my hope is that we'll see a good number of modules appearing as folks try to solve this using the mods API going forward.  (more on that soon, too, but the short of it is that we're making lots of progress on that API).

-e