Decko.

Ethan McCutchen

May 11, 2014, 6:17:07 PM5/11/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com, wagn...@googlegroups.com
So here's why the Wagn rebranding conversation got quiet.

I found out a few weeks ago that decko.org might become available and got excited about the name Decko, which addressed many community concerns about both Wagn and Cardicle.  I didn't write about it, because I haven't ever before vied for a domain coming back onto the market and didn't want it on this public list because of the (admittedly small) risk that it might attract competition from those more expert than I at the domain-grabbing arts.

But now, as of Friday, decko.org belongs to Grass Commons!  And I'd like to advocate for the idea of renaming Wagn to Decko at the 2.0 release.

I don't want to recap the entire conversation, but here are some things I like about it:
  • John gave us some great framing for the google test.  The fact that so many people on this list misspelled Cardicle (almost all of them knowing they'd done so but helpfully leaving the typos in place) was perhaps the most persuasive evidence that Cardicle was going to fail that one.  My hunch is that decko.org will do very well on the google test and extremely well on two of the bullets (not in John's order): (1) we'll be able to own the top search results for "decko" really quickly because, while the name is in use, we have a stronger web presence than the other usages, and (2) people who see the name will be able to spell (and type) it correctly.  On the third point, I do think it will be possible to hear "deco", so we may have to occasionally spell it or say "spelled like a deck of cards", but with 5 letters this is ok; with 8 it's not.  The bigger issue is probably that we don't own the .com, which we'd like to get and redirect to the .org domain, but realistically I don't think a lot of 5-letter domains that do this well on the google test are available on .org, and almost none of them are available as .com
  • Lewis like the idea of a card-related name but voiced concern that "Cardicle" sounded like a part, not a whole. The deck (of cards) is clearly the right metaphor there.  In fact, in future versions of the software, the "Deck" (application instance) will be a part of systems of connected decks, so having a word that embraces this metaphor is a big help.
  • Brandon brought up many other good points about the word "Deck", including its tech appeal (which Wagn misses) and how it pivots to ship metaphors.  Those ship metaphors nicely preserve space for the team journey metaphors we've used with Wagn over the years.  I think I may have undervalued this community aspect of the name "wagn", so it's very cool to have that back and to move forward with a name with even better community metaphors before (because they are more international and contemporary).
  • Brett did some nice riffing on "cardist", which brought art/design ideas to the fore.  The "art deco" connotation of Decko honors that impulse and ties together design and technical themes.  I do hope that as our community grows we'll cultivate really generative relationships between designers and developers (and view everyone as a little bit of both), so it's cool to have a name that celebrates both.
  • Mark pushed us towards ideas that would resonate quickly.  This was another thing that I reluctantly had to admit about the name Cardicle; while the particle metaphors were rich, particle physics may not be the best place to turn for simple explanatory analogies!  I think "decko = deck o' cards" makes quick intuitive sense, it helps make the name sticky, and it opens the conversations crisply.
In addition, after all these years of dropping the "o" from Wagon, it's nice to show the poor letter some respect ;)

Of course, this opens up a world of bad puns: words based on deck, decor, deca, dex, tech, eco, echo....  WagNet might become the DeckoSphere and it contain lots of semiautonomous DeckoSystems...  Lots of Decksterity.  OK, I'll stop.

I'm interested to hear how you hear the name.  I didn't really see "popsicle" in cardicle as James did, nor did I hear it as a personal file system as Tom did, so I won't be surprised if you see something I don't.  But to me it seems to strike a good balance between fun and professional, techie and artsy, and hip and classical.  How do you hear it?

- ethan

--
Ethan McCutchen
One of the Wagneers, Wagn.org

Wagn. How pioneers roll.

s: ethan.mccutchen
t: @intogreater

Eric Harris-Braun

May 12, 2014, 7:00:00 AM5/12/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com

I love it!

Lewis Hoffman

May 12, 2014, 11:57:58 AM5/12/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com, wagn...@googlegroups.com
+1  I’m sold as well.

Lewis Hoffman
Exquisite Organization

Tom Brooke

May 11, 2014, 6:27:39 PM5/11/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com, wagn...@googlegroups.com
I love it !!

As you point out Decko resonates with a lot of ideas that seem to fit

Lora Friedenthal

May 23, 2014, 9:32:32 AM5/23/14
to wagn...@googlegroups.com, wagn...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!