Equipment we NEED

1 view

College Beekeeper

Mar 2, 2011, 3:07:01 PM3/2/11
to Wageningen Student Beekeepers
So we probably need at least:

protective equipment, enough for 5 people. In the meantime, we can
borrow, but will be useful to have our own.

From Bijenhuis (located on grintweg) here are prices:
http://www.bijenhuis.nl/webwinkel/#winkel

1 pair of gloves:
13.95.

1 veil (only covers face/head. called: HOED MET SLUIER on the
website:
24.95. That seems quite expensive. Any other sites to check?

bee tool
5 euros. but we'd need to get two

a smoker
21.50
(+4 euros for the metal casing, so you dont get burned)

a BOX to keep all our stuff. we have a place to store it, where the
hives are kept, but would be good to have a box that we can store
stuff, and perhaps lock it.

from just the protective equipment, smoker, and bee tool:
gloves: 14x5= 70
veils: 25x5= 125
bee tool: 2x5= 10
smoker: 22+4= 26

TOTAL: 231 euros.

But I think we could possibly get cheaper veils. And gloves... we
could probably do with only 3 pairs. Or also buy them from a hardware
store, where they're much cheaper.

If you find a different place to buy, let us know! (but include
shipping, cause with this place, we can pick it up directly)

Cornelis Valk

Mar 2, 2011, 4:57:20 PM3/2/11
to Wageningen Student Beekeepers
I might be able to get some equipment, probably for free. I know
someone who recently told me she wanted to get rid of all her bees.
I can't promise anything, I will ask her asap.

On Mar 2, 9:07 pm, College Beekeeper <collegebeekee...@gmail.com>

College Beekeeper

Mar 2, 2011, 5:27:33 PM3/2/11
to wageningen-stu...@googlegroups.com
that sounds really promising!
unless she's getting rid of the bees because they have some disease or something, we would probably be open to taking anything she's willing to get rid of...
--

College Beekeeper
"Helping students initiate beekeeping programs at their place of education."

College Beekeeper

Mar 3, 2011, 7:59:05 AM3/3/11
to Wageningen Student Beekeepers
As for pricing, there are websites that offer things for cheaper.
Smokers
and hive tools seem to be pretty much the same price elsewhere, but
for the
veils, I did find this:

http://bijenhof.e-motions.be/cataloog/productfiche.aspx?lang=E&produc...

keep in mind that's only the veil part. So we'd have to use our own
hats.
Which could potentially be pretty funny and awesome. (Beekeeping
Sombrero
Anyone?)

On Mar 2, 11:27 pm, College Beekeeper <collegebeekee...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> "Helping students initiate beekeeping programs at their place of education."https://sites.google.com/site/*collegebeekeeper*/<https://sites.google.com/site/collegebeekeeper/>
> Skype: College Beekeeper
> Facebook: Apis mellifera, email: collegebeekee...@gmail.com- Hide quoted text -

Cornelis Valk

Mar 7, 2011, 4:10:35 AM3/7/11
to Wageningen Student Beekeepers
The person I was thinking of told me she changed her mind, so
unfortunately no equipment for us.

I like the sombrero idea!

On Mar 3, 1:59 pm, College Beekeeper <collegebeekee...@gmail.com>

College Beekeeper

Mar 8, 2011, 3:38:16 AM3/8/11
to wageningen-stu...@googlegroups.com
I sent along an email to T. Brascamp, who runs with the local association, about getting protective equipment 2nd hand.  Also gave us a pretty good site to use for all sorts of things.  See below:

(My question to her)-
I was wondering, is there any possibility to buy protective equipment 2nd hand in the local area?  I was looking at prices at the Bijenhuis, and they seem a bit high for our group starting out.
(Her response)-
I suggest you post a message on de forum at www.bijenhouden.nl , the moderators might not see it as  commercial advertising if you put it in the right way (have it translated by someone). As a local club we could send our members this message through direct email and forward it to the neighbouring club at Bennekom, asking them for a direct email action among their members.
Facebook: Apis mellifera, email: collegeb...@gmail.com