What we would like from pairing with a Student Association

College Beekeeper

Mar 2, 2011, 3:10:16 PM3/2/11
to Wageningen Student Beekeepers
Ok, so we might try to pair up with STEL. Sibilla is a member, might
be able to get us in.

What we would like:

- to be recognized as an official group, as part of their organization
- shown up on their website, with contact info. so any new student
can find us.
- allowed to have any student be a member. not just STEL people
- possible way to then approach university or any department to
support us financially (which might mean part of a bank account too)

and of course, we're somewhat flexible, depending on what they can
offer.

Jeroen Berg

Mar 2, 2011, 6:43:45 PM3/2/11
to Wageningen Student Beekeepers
If it isn't possible with STEL, we could also try RUW (Rural student
group), it isn't linked to a specific study, but covers all things
rural at the university. I have no contacts there, so if Sibilla is
able to pair up with STEL it would be more convenient, but just in
case... http://www.stichtingruw.nl/

On Mar 2, 9:10 pm, College Beekeeper <collegebeekee...@gmail.com>

Bram Cornelissen

Mar 3, 2011, 2:54:44 AM3/3/11
to Wageningen Student Beekeepers
I have one thing to keep in mind considering the organisational part.
The beekeepers association provides insurrance to beekeepers for the
loss of colonies due to theft and notifiable diseases. There are other
advantages, possibly getting equipment.
I think it would not be a bad idea to be part of it as a subdivision
with some autonomy. You should be able to work that out with them.
There are three main beekeepers association in the Netherlands. I have
good contacts with all. Michael and I will look into it.

On Mar 3, 12:43 am, Jeroen Berg <jeroen.a.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If it isn't possible with STEL, we could also try RUW (Rural student
> group), it isn't linked to a specific study, but covers all things
> rural at the university. I have no contacts there, so if Sibilla is
> able to pair up with STEL it would be more convenient, but just in
> case...http://www.stichtingruw.nl/
>
> On Mar 2, 9:10 pm, College Beekeeper <collegebeekee...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Ok, so we might try to pair up with STEL.  Sibilla is a member, might
> > be able to get us in.
>
> > What we would like:
>
> > - to be recognized as an official group, as part of their organization
> > - shown up on their website, with contact info.  so any new student
> > can find us.
> > - allowed to have any student be a member.  not just STEL people
> > - possible way to then approach university or any department to
> > support us financially (which might mean part of a bank account too)
>
> > and of course, we're somewhat flexible, depending on what they can
> > offer.- Hide quoted text -

Jeroen Berg

Mar 3, 2011, 5:29:05 AM3/3/11
to Wageningen Student Beekeepers
Ah, that would be very nice indeed. I only know the biggest one, NBV.
The others are specialized for beekeepers in Carnica and Buckfast
bees, are they not? I know that NBV is already organized into
autonomous subdivisions, so that shouldn't be to big of a problem. The
only issue would be that normally, you have to be member of NBV to
join at a local subdivision, which costs 55 euros a year. In return
you get the (dutch) monthly magazine, which isn't very interesting for
international students. Maybe we can get a discount price if we don't
want the magazine...?

Sibilla

Mar 9, 2011, 11:04:45 AM3/9/11
to Wageningen Student Beekeepers
We have good news from STEL!
They said it is no problem to "use" the association to get the things
we listed below...(Bank account, offical status within the university,
website, use their status with the chamber of commerce to get an
insurance for example....)
And we don't need to be part of the association, they like the idea of
Student Beekepers being open to all in the University.
So, what is needed now is to probably define somewhat better the
requirements we have (for example, to use their bank account we need
someone being the secretary/tresorier to take up this task, we need to
know what kind of insurance we want to get, and where from, in order
to use their status as "entity" in the chamber of commerce, etcetc..)

I can happily be the medium between us and STEL, just let me know (you
more experienced beekeepers/dutch connected ones...) what I need to do-
ask.
Ciao,
Sibilla

On Mar 2, 9:10 pm, College Beekeeper <collegebeekee...@gmail.com>

College Beekeeper

Mar 10, 2011, 4:33:13 AM3/10/11
to wageningen-stu...@googlegroups.com
Great news about STEL!
I think the issue of insurance for the hives will be dealt with by becoming a member of a local association, so I don't think we need to get involved in the chamber of commerce (unless someone else has heard otherwise).
For using their bank account, that would be good, especially to give our group a more legitimate look.  Whether or not we go for sponsorship, and that might be later, we are going to need some sort of finances done for buying the basic equipment.
Having a section on their website would be awesome.  To let other students know, and to connect to other wageningen sites (perhaps on the activity site of the WUR page?)

What do other people think we'd like from a pairing with STEL?
--

College Beekeeper
"Helping students initiate beekeeping programs at their place of education."