Runtime dependencies for waffle-jna 3.2.0

Olivier Jaquemet

Sep 8, 2022, 8:13:54 AM9/8/22
to waffle
Hi all,

The latest version of waffle-jna published to maven is version 3.2.0 :

What are the *runtime* dependencies for this version ?

- I know for sure that caffeine, jna, jna-plafform and slf4j are requested.
- However, I have a doubt regarding checker-qual and error_prone_annotations.
It seems to me that those libraries are only required for compilation and static analysis, but not required for runtime.
Looking at the following comment of issue #300 on the caffeine project, it looks like they can be omitted for Java project (not for scala project) :

Can anyone confirm that checker-qual and error_prone_annotation are not required for runtime and can be omitted when declaring maven dependencies to waffle-jna ?

    <dependency>
        <groupId>com.github.waffle</groupId>
        <artifactId>waffle-jna</artifactId>
        <version>3.2.0</version>
        <exclusions>
            <exclusion>
                <groupId>org.checkerframework</groupId>
                <artifactId>checker-qual</artifactId>
            </exclusion>
            <exclusion>
                <groupId>com.google.errorprone</groupId>
                <artifactId>error_prone_annotations</artifactId>
            </exclusion>
        </exclusions>
    </dependency>

Thanks,
Olivier

PS : Version 3.1.1 is the latest release on the github project, some action might have been forgotten during the release of 3.2.0 :

Olivier Jaquemet

Oct 25, 2022, 9:19:50 AM10/25/22
to waffle...@googlegroups.com
Regarding my post scriptum, version 3.2.0 was released minutes ago on github by Jeremy Landis (@ hazendaz)

The rest of my question/discussion remains, even though I am satisfied with my own analysis, a confirmation by a project maintainer would have been nice.

Jeremy Landis

Oct 27, 2022, 8:51:50 AM10/27/22
to waffle
Everything discussed on caffeine is valid there.  Personally I would not bother excluding them as they have little impact and if you find your self using other stacks along with this, you re likely to find them there too for example with guava and there are others.  Both are rather mainstream in usage.  But feel free to do what you want there.

Olivier Jaquemet

Oct 27, 2022, 9:43:46 AM10/27/22
to waffle...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Jeremy for this confirmation.

Every bit of jar/byte code added to an application makes it more complex to maintain (dependency conflict, update, etc) and enlarge its attack surface.
That's why I always try to keep the absolute strict minimum required.