: Veterans Day Nov 11, 2011, Reach Out and Touch A Veteran, with a heartfelt thank you!

1 view

rrmil...@comcast.net

Oct 13, 2011, 11:19:10 AM10/13/11
to Iness, Bob

October 13, 2011

Dear Friends:

On November 11, 2011 millions of Americans will gather together across the nation to show their appreciation, gratitude and thanks to the men and women who have protected and served our nation.

President Obama recently had these remarks in showing his and the nations appreciation for those who have served this great nation and those who continue to serve:

“In this time of war, we gather here mindful that the generation serving today already deserves a place alongside previous generations for the courage they have shown and the sacrifices that they have made.  In an era where so many acted only in pursuit of narrow self-interest, they've chosen the opposite.  They chose to serve the cause that is greater than self; many even after they knew they'd be sent into harm's way.  And for the better part of a decade, they have endured tour after tour in distant and difficult places; they have protected us from danger; and they have given others the opportunity for a better life.

So to all of them -- to our veterans, to the fallen, and to their families -- there is no tribute, no commemoration, no praise that can truly match the magnitude of your service and your sacrifice.”

With warm thoughts and a heartfelt thanks to our brave men and women we are asking each of you to take 5 minutes out of your day on November 11, 2011, “VETERANS DAY” and make a personal phone call to a veteran and thank them for their service.

We call this a holiday day! However for many of our veterans it is another day without a home, another day where the memories cause sleepless nights, it is another day where our troops awake in harms way.  It is another day where they will not be able to read a bed time story or give a good morning hug to their sons and daughters.

For our wounded warriors, it is another day of slow and arduous recovery. For those who have lost a loved one, it is another day of grief and loss.

So while it is important and proper that we mark this day, it is far more important we spend all our days determined to keep the promises that we have  made to  our veterans; that a humble and grateful nation will never forget your sacrifice and dedication to duty.

Sincerely,

Raymond Miller, 1st Vice President and Chairman

Armed Services and Veterans Affairs

Committee, Snohomish County NAACP

Veterans Reach Out And Touch Program 2011.doc