A Positive Lifestyle for Veterans and Their Families

rrmil...@comcast.net

Nov 14, 2011, 10:43:15 AM11/14/11
to Fran Nowak, mkanew, atkins, james, 'Armstead, Ron, bigpj1234, bigpapa98203, Bradley, Al, Bulter, Rosevelt, Command, Cal, CIV, Kristin, Davis, Tom, Davis, Wendy, Eason, Oscar, Fitzpatrick, Virginia, erye, Gray, Edgar, Greene, Janice, Harrison, Marian, Grieser, Heidi, Holt, Anna, Houston, Edward, Hughes, Mary, Iness, Bob, koster, john, Long, Marsha Tadano, Military, Veterans, Jennifer, Antoine, Michael, Hill, nw, soldiers, Parks, James, Pelz, Dwight, Pfannenstiel, Gerald, Reese, Bob, Ridgeway, Dave, Robison, Kathy, Ybarra, Uriel

None of us are home until all of us are home

Raymond (Ray) Miller,

Founder, President and CEO

Veterans Day Message 2011

Unity Church of God in Christ

Veterans Day Program

November 13, 2011

 Veterans Day: a Day of Honor,

Dignity, Respect and Obligation

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers!

Today we gather together to show our appreciation, gratitude and thanks to the men and women who have protected and served our nation and to say thank you and welcome home!

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers!

 This year, as in recent years, this day, takes on extra special meaning, as we honor our newest veterans, who served our nation in Iraq, Afghanistan and around the world.

Veterans day is remembered in the hearts of hundreds of thousands of Americans who served our nation with honor and valor. We call this a holiday day! However for many of our veterans it is another day without a home, another day where the memories cause sleepless nights, it is another day where our troops awake in harms way.  It is another day where they will not be able to read a bed time story or give a good morning hug to their sons and daughters.

For our wounded warriors, it is another day of slow and laborious recovery. For those who have lost a loved one, it is another day of grief and loss.

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers!

Uncertainty is an inescapable part of military service. The turmoil usually associated with military life puts enormous strains on service members and their families.

There are so many places around the world where our men and women have been asked to risked life and limb and each time, they have responded with true greatness of heart.

Fueled by the deepest sense of patriotism, they have jumped into action. Kindled by the keenest commitment to human destiny, they have thrown caution to the wind.

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers!

As a veteran, I urge each of you to take the time to not just thank a veteran, but to talk with veterans. Learn about our experiences, and what issues we have faced as we have transitioned back to civilian life. From shortfalls in veterans programs to dealing with the mental and physical scars of war, millions of veterans face challenges that many Americans will never know!

 In war, there are no unwounded soldiers!

For some Veterans, the path way home is a long and very difficult journey. Whether that Veteran served in Vietnam or Desert Storm, Korea or Operation Enduring Freedom, numerous factors must be addressed before a Veteran can become an active member of the society they once preserved. For example, in order to find suitable employment, Veterans must overcome significant and real obstacles.  Those obstacles can include such things as not having the proper training to compete for certain jobs, not having appropriate clothing for a job interview, or not having the tools to apply one’s trade.

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers!

Many Veterans, especially combat Veterans, suffer from varying degrees of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), which causes flashbacks, anxiety, emotional numbing, and depression.

Because of this many, Veterans turn to drugs and alcohol in an effort to self-medicate service-related issues.  Other barriers include, emotional, social, psychological, educational and physical deficiencies - i.e. inadequate health care, physical handicaps, psychological maladjustment, lack of transferable skills, insufficient academic proficiency, minimal basic survival skills, limited marketable skills, insecurity and low self-esteem, family problems, transportation, limited  knowledge about the community, its systems and the role they play in it.

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers!

Perhaps the largest most insurmountable hurdle facing Veterans today, is not one within themselves, it is society’s demonstrated belief that military members are over-paid, over-benefited and take up a large majority of the national budget. What is the reality? Military members are actually the lowest paid employees on the federal employment registry doing the most dangerous work on behalf of a country that does not always support them. When a military member leaves the service, most support ends there – military members have to wait months if not years to receive their benefits (only after completing a long and complex filing process).  Without the support of the government, without the support of their communities, and without the support of humanitarian efforts, Veterans stand no real chance for reintegrating into society and obtaining independence.

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers!

So while it is important and proper that we mark this day, it is far more important we spend all our days determined to keep the promises that we have  made to  our veterans; that a humble and grateful nation will never forget your sacrifice and dedication to duty.

As we observe Veterans Day please make sure you thank a veteran for their service to our country.  This is the true greatness of our country.  Thank you, God Bless you and God Bless The United States of America!

Raymond (Ray) Miller,

Founder, President and CEO

Vets Place Northwest - Welcome Home

Veterans Day Message 2011.doc