vtuner support for SAT>IP?

Helge-Johannes Lenz

Feb 11, 2014, 5:25:53 PM2/11/14
to vtuner-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Honza,
I recently bought a SAT>IP receiver and would like to use it with my favorite linux pvr application vdr.

If you don't know how SAT>IP (SAT-to-IP, www.satip.info) works here is a short summary: SAT>IP is a standard introduced by SES to make DVB (currently only S2/S) tuner available over a local network. A simple way is http: a simple http://192.168.168.37/?src=1&freq=11493&pol=h&ro=35&mtype=8PSK&msys=dvbs2&sr=22000&fec=23&pids=0,18,20,5101,5102,5103,5106,5104,5105 would give you "Das Erste HD" as TS data stream over http including the PIDs specified. This method is already usable in vdr with the iptv plugin, however switching channels is rather slow and there is no support for encrypted channels, as the available softcams do need an external DVB driver. The other method is open an rtp port and control the SAT>IP server via a simple rtsp protocol. After setting up the tuner the SAT>IP server sends the specifiec PIDs in a transport stream to the specified open port on the client. Changing channels is nearly as fast as using a local DVB tuner card.

And here vtuner comes into play: do you think it would be possible to either add a SAT>IP mode to vtuner client or to change the code to let it connect to a SAT>IP server? SAT>IP tuners are rather cheap (4 tuners for 135€) and can be installed close to the antenna to avoid expensive satellite cable installation. Integrating the SAT>IP support into vtuner client would be beneficial to many different dvb applications or set top boxes running linux. I already had a look at the vtuner client code and I think it is doable, however I don't have the know how to do the modifications myself but for sure I could help reviewing code or testing.

What do you think?

Regards,
Helge

Honza Petrouš

Feb 11, 2014, 9:44:16 PM2/11/14
to vtuner-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Helge.

2014-02-12 Helge-Johannes Lenz <helge...@gmail.com>:
> Hello Honza,
> I recently bought a SAT>IP receiver and would like to use it with my
> favorite linux pvr application vdr.
>
> If you don't know how SAT>IP (SAT-to-IP, www.satip.info) works here is a
> short summary: SAT>IP is a standard introduced by SES to make DVB (currently
> only S2/S) tuner available over a local network. A simple way is http: a
> simple
> http://192.168.168.37/?src=1&freq=11493&pol=h&ro=35&mtype=8PSK&msys=dvbs2&sr=22000&fec=23&pids=0,18,20,5101,5102,5103,5106,5104,5105
> would give you "Das Erste HD" as TS data stream over http including the PIDs
> specified. This method is already usable in vdr with the iptv plugin,
> however switching channels is rather slow and there is no support for
> encrypted channels, as the available softcams do need an external DVB
> driver. The other method is open an rtp port and control the SAT>IP server
> via a simple rtsp protocol. After setting up the tuner the SAT>IP server
> sends the specifiec PIDs in a transport stream to the specified open port on
> the client. Changing channels is nearly as fast as using a local DVB tuner
> card.

Yep, I, of course, did small spec analysis when SAT>IP was born :)
And I had it on my TODO list for sure.

> And here vtuner comes into play: do you think it would be possible to either
> add a SAT>IP mode to vtuner client or to change the code to let it connect
> to a SAT>IP server? SAT>IP tuners are rather cheap (4 tuners for 135 EURO) and

BTW, is there also any TER>IP boxes (hehe, it's my joke, because I really don't
think it was nice to named it "SAT" if there are also terrestrial and cable
variant of DVB standard, both also very wide used. And yes, I know it
was because
of Astra, SAT>IP creator's way of business)?

As I don't have any info about boxes (servers) for SAT>IP I would like to
ask you how it looks like on the market now? You said there are cheap
boxes (4tuners/135Eur is really nice price!). How it is for DVB-T and/or DVB-C?
As you know the only difference is tuning part, the data processing
is the same, so I would expect (or may be better like to see) also
TER>IP or TER/CAB>IP boxes on the market as well :)

> can be installed close to the antenna to avoid expensive satellite cable
> installation. Integrating the SAT>IP support into vtuner client would be
> beneficial to many different dvb applications or set top boxes running
> linux. I already had a look at the vtuner client code and I think it is
> doable, however I don't have the know how to do the modifications myself but
> for sure I could help reviewing code or testing.
>
> What do you think?

I think adding support to the vtuner would be nice. And luckily I'm
just on the long term (about 2 months to the end) business trip,
sitting in the hotel often alone, so it can be interesting to play with
it for me ;)

I have to download and print SAT>IP spec, do some homework
to refresh how it works (anyway, your two-sentences explanation
looks also nice, thx) and prepare some code for the vtunerc app :)

Regarding cooperation we can discuss directly ;)

CU
/Honza

Helge-Johannes Lenz

Feb 12, 2014, 3:12:36 AM2/12/14
to vtuner-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Honza

Am Mittwoch, 12. Februar 2014 03:44:16 UTC+1 schrieb hop:
Hi Helge.

2014-02-12 Helge-Johannes Lenz <helge...@gmail.com>:
> Hello Honza,
> I recently bought a SAT>IP receiver and would like to use it with my
> favorite linux pvr application vdr.
>
> If you don't know how SAT>IP (SAT-to-IP, www.satip.info) works here is a
> short summary: SAT>IP is a standard introduced by SES to make DVB (currently
> only S2/S) tuner available over a local network. A simple way is http: a
> simple
> http://192.168.168.37/?src=1&freq=11493&pol=h&ro=35&mtype=8PSK&msys=dvbs2&sr=22000&fec=23&pids=0,18,20,5101,5102,5103,5106,5104,5105
> would give you "Das Erste HD" as TS data stream over http including the PIDs
> specified. This method is already usable in vdr with the iptv plugin,
> however switching channels is rather slow and there is no support for
> encrypted channels, as the available softcams do need an external DVB
> driver. The other method is open an rtp port and control the SAT>IP server
> via a simple rtsp protocol. After setting up the tuner the SAT>IP server
> sends the specifiec PIDs in a transport stream to the specified open port on
> the client. Changing channels is nearly as fast as using a local DVB tuner
> card.

Yep, I, of course, did small spec analysis when SAT>IP was born :)
And I had it on my TODO list for sure.

Usually I don't like reading protocol specifications as I am an engineer and only understand half of it... But the SAT>IP spec is very easy to read and the concept is very good documented. I already implemented a small client app to send the rtsp messages. Ok, its only a bash script using netcat and many people would neither call it "application"  nor "implementation", but hey, I can make the server send me data!

If you have a look at the hardware list on satip.info (http://www.satip.info/products/Hardware) you see a variety of SAT boxes and most of them share two or three common layouts. I have the GSS DSI 400 which is identical to the Digitbit R1. Although the SAT>IP spec specifically mention also DVB-T and DVB-C I only know of a CAT>IP (or as they call it KABLE>IP) made by Digital Devices. They have their own modular hardware called Octopus NET and have implemented the SAT>IP standard, though certification is pending (http://shop.digital-devices.de/epages/62357162.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2F62357162%2FCategories%2FNetzwerk_TVTuner). Similar to the REEL NetCeiver they have a mainboard with network switch and a cpu and you can plug in different tuner modules for DVB-S/S2 DVB-C and DVB-T. However these modules are more expensive: 429EUR for 4 SAT or Cable tuners.

> can be installed close to the antenna to avoid expensive satellite cable
> installation. Integrating the SAT>IP support into vtuner client would be
> beneficial to many different dvb applications or set top boxes running
> linux. I already had a look at the vtuner client code and I think it is
> doable, however I don't have the know how to do the modifications myself but
> for sure I could help reviewing code or testing.
>
> What do you think?

I think adding support to the vtuner would be nice. And luckily I'm
just on the long term (about 2 months to the end) business trip,
sitting in the hotel often alone, so it can be interesting to play with
it for me ;)
If you want to test some code I could give you access to my SAT>IP server over the internet. HD video would be difficult but least you could test the rtsp control connection.

I have to download and print SAT>IP spec, do some homework
to refresh how it works (anyway, your two-sentences explanation
looks also nice, thx) and prepare some code for the vtunerc app :)
Thanks, but the spec is really well explained and easy to read.

Regarding cooperation we can discuss directly ;)
Sure, just send me an email.

CU
Helge.

mc.fi...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2014, 10:38:28 PM2/17/14
to vtuner-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Honza, hi Helge,

just came across this thread and wanted to give a hint that
i submitted a project "satip" on google code which probably
covers what Helge is looking for. It is based on Honzas vtuner and
very much tailored to my personal needs, but if you find something
useful on it feel free to rip it out. If Honza will integrate SAT>IP anyway
to vtuner, I doubt that I will continue on it.

Regards
mc.f

Honza Petrouš

Feb 18, 2014, 2:17:01 AM2/18/14
to vtuner-...@googlegroups.com
Hi mc.f

Nice to pointing me on your project.

I didn't analyse your code much, but I feel we should
go this way:

1, add satip userland app to the vtuner project
2, add your changes to the vtuner driver codebase

Then you can continue your satip development
without splitting our development man power :)
I think Roland has no any objection with add r/w
rights to our vtuner project repository.

/Honza

PS: I have already some patches for vtuner driver
on my private queue, so I see now is the time to push
them out.

Roland Mieslinger

Feb 18, 2014, 2:42:36 AM2/18/14
to vtuner-...@googlegroups.com
2014‒02‒18 8:17 GMT+01:00 Honza Petrouš <jpet...@gmail.com>:
I think Roland has no any objection with add r/w
rights to our vtuner project repository.

go ahead, no objection.

mc.fi...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2014, 2:46:51 PM2/18/14
to vtuner-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Honza, Roland,

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:17:01 AM UTC+1, hop wrote:
Hi mc.f

Nice to pointing me on your project.

I didn't analyse your code much, but I feel we should
go this way:

1, add satip userland app to the vtuner project
2, add your changes to the vtuner driver codebase

Then you can continue your satip development
without splitting our development man power :)
I think Roland has no any objection with add r/w
rights to our vtuner project repository.

/Honza

PS: I have already some patches for vtuner driver
on my private queue, so I see now is the time to push
them out.

Sure, we can merge this. Would it make sense that you push your
pending changes first so that I can figure out any further tweaks? Would like
to have an initial master which works. Are you using direct email for
dev discussions or do you prefer some other channel?

Regards
mc.f

Helge-Johannes Lenz

Feb 19, 2014, 12:05:02 PM2/19/14
to vtuner-...@googlegroups.com
Hi mc.f,
this is exactly what I was looking for! It compiled without problems on my arm based NAS and I was even able to use it with VDR and the dvbapi plugin (softcam to decrypt pay tv channels together with OSCam)! I think I have to check my configuration because the decryption performance is very bad, but FTA works like a charm.
If I have a look on your todo list I would like to add "Comandline switch to enable/disable debugging output" but this will be probably pretty low on the list. I will have a look on the code and if I understand it (my programming skills are not that good) I could try to help you with some points on your todo list if you don't mind.

Thanks again for sharing your work.
Helge.

Honza Petrouš

Feb 20, 2014, 5:03:37 AM2/20/14
to vtuner-...@googlegroups.com
Nice it works for you Helge and good job for mc.f's mod!

So let me check the necessary changes we have to do to vtuner driver
to support both apps - original vtunerc/d app and new satip one.

/Honza

eviljoe

Feb 23, 2014, 5:44:29 PM2/23/14
to vtuner-...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,
i am also very interested in this project and maybe can also add something knowledge or hardware providing& testing to it.
I have an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64 server running but having troubles with compiling mc.fishdishs repository.
I think i managed to compile the satip part:
'file satip' gave me this output:    satip: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]= output: ......

but now i am stuck on the vtuner_tweak part:
make -C /lib/modules/3.8.0-36-generic/build SUBDIRS=/satip/build/satip/vtuner_tweak modules
make[1]: Betrete Verzeichnis '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-36-generic'
  CC [M]  /satip/build/satip/vtuner_tweak/vtunerc_main.o
/satip/build/satip/vtuner_tweak/vtunerc_main.c:26:19: schwerwiegender Fehler: demux.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
Kompilierung beendet.
make[2]: *** [/satip/build/satip/vtuner_tweak/vtunerc_main.o] Fehler 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/satip/build/satip/vtuner_tweak] Fehler 2
make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-36-generic'
make: *** [default] Fehler 2

I already learned from vtuner issue #30 that it might be kernel related but that gooes way beyond my linux knowledge.
Also, its not quite clear to me how to "merge" both parts (satip and vtuner) together ??
Therefore, any help is highly appreciated!
Joe