Lake memphremagog 4/3

Evan Perkins

Apr 3, 2023, 6:37:17 PM4/3/23
to NHNordicSkating, VTNordicskating
 David and I started this morning before sunrise from magog in Quebec at the north end of the lake. Our hope was to skate south to Newport and then back before it warmed up, that’s why we were starting so early. Our plan worked! We arrived in Newport at around 920 . The reason we were starting in magog was that there was a south wind predicted for the day it started fairly light, so for the first part of our trip down the lake, we were going into moderate head winds the wind built over the course of the morning, becoming a fairly stiff headwind, by the time, we finished our final miles to Newport.
     Our return trip was much faster with a healthy tail in the whole way .
    Ice quality was generally bumpy, but fine to skate in the middle of the lake, with many many miles of higher quality shore, lines to follow. There were also some sections of the middle of the lake that were fairly good quality as well here and there.
       Although the temperature was about 42 when we arrived back in Magog the ice was just beginning to soften , the stiff wind, and the partial overcast, allowed it to hold out just long enough for us to make the round trip, about 56 miles in all.
     I was hoping to get one last big skate in
for the year and success was had. However, the forecast for next weekend looks like it could be promising at this point at least for the lakes that we have left that still have thick ice.
       Still skating,Evan

Evan Perkins

Apr 4, 2023, 3:59:51 AM4/4/23
to NHNordicSkating, VTNordicskating