Mallets bay 3/31

Evan Perkins

Mar 31, 2023, 10:36:43 AM3/31/23
to VTNordicskating
I had an early morning drop off at the airport in Burlington. I brought my skates just in case and was pleasantly surprised by some very good ice conditions on Mallet Bay. I was able to get about 25 miles in before the temps warmed to about 33° at around 10 o’clock. There was about 3 inches of ice over a slush layer and then some rotten ice below. The ice quality was some of the best over the last month, some perfectly smooth sections, and then other sections that were smooth, but a little bumpy, no orange peel, or anything like that.
      I assume conditions are similar on outer mallets bay, but I didn’t want to go out there, just in case things warmed up quickly, and maybe some similar conditions on the northern and southern ends of the inland sea. I’m not sure if this Ice can afford to lose any thickness which it might over the next rain event even with the freeze up after it but it might be worth checking for folks who are close. Definitely not something to be done when the temperature is above freezing at All , because this is weak spring ice. But all in all a lovely skate in a beautiful place.