Game Engines

Robert

Aug 28, 2008, 5:53:46 PM8/28/08
to VT Gaming Project
This is a review of possible game engines to use. Feel free to add
any new ones you find that look good.

Robert

Aug 28, 2008, 6:06:31 PM8/28/08
to VT Gaming Project
> XNA - C#, has good tutorials, documentation, samples
Free racing game starter kit with pretty good 3D graphics, free RPG
starter kit
http://creators.xna.com/

http://www.yoyogames.com/make

> Use a rendering engine or build on top of an existing open source game made for the engine:
Irrlicht - http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/ C++, has some good
tutorials
Ogre3D - http://www.ogre3d.org/
Crystal Space

> Half-life 2 Source engine: Must have half-life 2 for source;
first download Steam by Valve, then get half-life 2 then download
Source engine SDK

> Quake-based engines (in C):
- Alien Arena: open source engine based on one of the quake engines
with good 3D graphics
Recommend installing turtoiseSVN for versioning: http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads
download game: http://red.planetarena.org/,
You can download source directly from the svn URL: svn://svn.icculus.org/alienarena/trunk
Map editor: open the aaradiant.exe in “Tools”, choose the project
under “Tools/projects”

- Tremulous: interesting RTS based on one of the quake engines;
pretty good graphics; aliens can walk on walls
game link: http://tremulous.net/files/ link to source?
outdated? svn url: svn://amanieu.homelinux.com/tremulous-amanieu

- Open Arena: another quake-based engine; download: http://openarena.ws/

Jaheco

Sep 8, 2008, 7:29:44 AM9/8/08
to VT Gaming Project
Another good one for C++ is darkGDK, an engine with great 2D and
network support and decent 3D. It is very non-object oriented though,
for those who are disinclined to pursue such a thing.

I also wanted to add in that there is now C# support for the irrlicht
engine, which I personally view as one of the absolute best open
source 3D engines. Its 2D capabilities are somewhat limited, but its
open source nature would allow one to rectify that without too much
trouble.

Sen...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2008, 2:24:02 PM9/18/08
to VT Gaming Project
GTGE - Golden T Game Engine, developed by Golden T Studios, is a Java
based game engine that allows for a lot of customization. Currently
being used as the engine for the RPG.

http://www.goldenstudios.or.id/products/GTGE/

Robert

Sep 18, 2008, 6:30:12 PM9/18/08
to VT Gaming Project
Oh I actually have code I made for GTGE to control characters, make
enemies, use attacks, and have interactions if you want to take a look/
use it (no menu system though).

Sen...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2008, 7:26:33 PM9/18/08
to VT Gaming Project
I would love to take a look at it. It really help.