vtg with local install of Vala

Chris

Aug 14, 2010, 8:19:35 AM8/14/10
to vtg-dev
I use the Vala ppa, but right now it is only at 0.9.2, so I cannot use
the current version of vtg (0.9.1). I downloaded the latest Vala
source from git (0.9.5), which needs an existing version of valac on
the computer to build it. I tried to install Vala 0.9.5 locally ("--
prefix=$HOME"), which put the new vala and valac in ~/bin. It has
priority in the $PATH, so it is the one that gets executed when
building vtg, but when building vtg, I still get the error:

~/Downloads/software/DeveloperTools/vtg-0.9.1$ ./configure --prefix=
$HOME/.gnome2/gedit/plugins --datadir=$HOME/.gnome2/gedit/plugins
checking for GLIB... yes
checking for GENPROJECT... yes
checking for AFRODITE... no
afrodite library dependencies not met:
vala-0.10 >= 0.9.5: not found
configure: error: afrodite library dependencies not met: glib-2.0 >=
2.12.0 gio-2.0 >= 2.12.0 gobject-2.0 >= 2.12.0 gthread-2.0 >= 2.16.0
vala-0.10 >= 0.9.5
:~/Downloads/software/DeveloperTools/vtg-0.9.1$ valac --version
Vala 0.9.5.20-e8e5
:~/Downloads/software/DeveloperTools/vtg-0.9.1$ which vala
/home/prima/bin/vala

Any help building would be appreciated.

Andrea Del Signore

Aug 14, 2010, 11:14:02 AM8/14/10
to vtg-dev
Hi,

I think that two version of vala installed on the same machine aren't
a good idea,
so if you have not done yet please remove the ppa version.

To make the configure test pass you should include your $HOME/lib/pkg-
config directory
on the list of directory searched by pkg-config. You can do this by
adding it to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/lib/pkg-config

I'm not sure about the directory, but is the directory where you find
vala-0.10.pc file see man pkg-config for futher details.

Also, to compile vtg, you have to add to the configure script the path
where the vapi files can be found:

./configure --with-valavapi=$HOME/share/vala-0.10/vapi

I hope this helps,
Andrea

Chris Wj

Aug 15, 2010, 9:21:22 AM8/15/10
to vtg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andrea. I tried your solution, but it does not recognize --with-valavapi:

:~/Downloads/software/DeveloperTools/vtg-0.9.1$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/.gnome2/gedit/plugins --datadir=$HOME/.gnome2/gedit/plugins --with-valavapi=$HOME/share/vala-0.10/vapi
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-valavapi

Also, I cannot uninstall vala via apt because I have packages on my system that require it.

Andrea Del Signore

Aug 16, 2010, 12:32:54 PM8/16/10
to vtg-dev

On Aug 15, 3:21 pm, Chris Wj <chris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Andrea. I tried your solution, but it does not recognize
> --with-valavapi:
>
> :~/Downloads/software/DeveloperTools/vtg-0.9.1$ ./configure
>
> > --prefix=$HOME/.gnome2/gedit/plugins --datadir=$HOME/.gnome2/gedit/plugins
> > --with-valavapi=$HOME/share/vala-0.10/vapi
> > configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-valavapi
> > checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
>
> Also, I cannot uninstall vala via apt because I have packages on my system
> that require it.

Hi,

if you can't remove vala ppa you should be very sure that when you use
gedit + vtg vala toys will be linked to the libvala present in your
$HOME and not to the system installed one.
So if you see strange errors and crash this will be the first thing to
check.

Now about the configure option: you are right the config help is wrong
and the option name is --with-vapidir, so try with this one instead.

Regards,
Andrea