prebuilt kernel

Guest⁠ ⁠

Feb 27, 2016, 6:20:21 PM2/27/16
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel
https://github.com/wh0/bookconfig/releases/tag/v1

I've compiled the kernel from here according to the instructions in the repo's wiki. You can download it, like if you don't want to compile it yourself.

I rebased it onto a recent stable release of Linux. I don't know if I did it right though.

There's also a rootfs tarball with Debian testing, built with debootstrap, if you feel like playing around with that.

---
Sorry for the repeated posting; blame Google Groups.

kez...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2017, 5:43:16 AM2/13/17
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel
Would you like to realise this distro?

wh

Feb 13, 2017, 12:42:05 PM2/13/17
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel

Yeah sure. What would that require?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017, 2:43 AM <kez...@gmail.com> wrote:
Would you like to realise this distro?

Wawrzyniec Karasek

Feb 13, 2017, 1:40:25 PM2/13/17
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel
Can you tell me whats inside debian tarball?

wh

Feb 14, 2017, 4:15:10 PM2/14/17
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel
To summarize, it contains the result of running `debootstrap`, plus a script for setting up some things that the Debian installer would normally do (https://github.com/wh0/bookconfig/blob/master/init.template), plus some configuration files (https://github.com/wh0/bookconfig/tree/master/ship).

Wawrzyniec Karasek

Feb 15, 2017, 1:54:33 AM2/15/17
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel
Ok. Thanks for anwser, Im total newbie so i have another question. Can i install your distro on nand partition?

wh

Feb 15, 2017, 3:30:41 AM2/15/17
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel

Sorry, I've never tried that.

lrussell887

Feb 28, 2019, 3:13:52 AM2/28/19
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel
Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks for your work on this, the pre-compiled build works great!

That said, since the current build is a couple years out of date I tried compiling it myself. However, after creating my user account it kernel panics. The only configuration I changed was adding 'dialog' to the DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS include and updating the libeatmydata1.deb URL to '/pool/main/libe/libeatmydata/libeatmydata1_105-7_armel.deb'. I had also tried changing the SUITE to stable as well, but it made no difference. I compiled everything on Debian 9. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. See screenshot below.

kernel panic.jpg

wh

Feb 28, 2019, 3:27:42 AM2/28/19
to vt8500-wm8505...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest editing the init.template to run a shell before the `exec /sbin/init`, so you can investigate why /sbin/init is "not found".

The expectation is that debootstrap second stage would unpack the real one. Maybe a package is missing. Or maybe it's a symlink to something that's missing. Or maybe it's a script and the interpreter is missing.

lrussell887

Mar 1, 2019, 3:35:17 AM3/1/19
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel
Thank you for the quick response! I was able to obtain the bootstrap.log file (https://pastebin.com/THy5RQXb) from the netbook. There appear to be a number of dependency problems, but I'm not sure what I can do to resolve them. I'm assuming this is related to the boot failure (?).  The log is from a rebuild that was made from a direct clone of Github repo, this time only changing the broken libeatmydata1.deb link in the Makefile. There were no errors during the build, although perhaps there is some configuration issue anyway on my end? Or something has changed in Debian since it was last built? The netbook does boot into a shell once rebooted after the kernel panic. When I list '/sbin', there simply is no 'init' to be found. Any further help would be really appreciated. I have to admit I'm not too experienced in all of this.

wh

Mar 1, 2019, 4:24:38 AM3/1/19
to vt8500-wm8505...@googlegroups.com
Oh, there simply is no init system. That must be what changed, that the `init` package isn't marked as required anymore in recent Debian releases. Add `init` to the `--include` list in the Makefile.

Thanks for the investigation

lrussell887

lrussell887

Alexey Charkov

Mar 20, 2019, 5:40:34 AM3/20/19
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel
Mainline kernel misses keyboard support for VT8500/WM8505 as those used a platform version of i8042 SERIO controller, all the later ones use an internally attached USB keyboard which should work just fine. Just make sure that you include support for UHCI when building it and you should be all set.

As for including code from linux-vtwm, one would do that by rebasing the branch of interest from linux-vtwm on top of recent master, but that's not always straightforward (because in-kernel API's often change between versions, which means that code that used the old versions would need to be adapted before it can work on top of a more recent master). 'git help rebase' is a good first step, but it quickly gets more involved than that :)

Setting the origin to one repo or another shouldn't matter much, as long as you give the right fully-qualified branch names to git rebase so that it doesn't get confused.

Which SoC version are you building for, by the way?

Cheers,
Alexey

ср, 20 мар. 2019 г. в 12:18, lrussell887 <lruss...@gmail.com>:
[...]

wh

Mar 22, 2019, 1:35:56 AM3/22/19
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel
For the kernel workflow I wrote about in my repo's readme, these are things you should do in the bookconfig/kernel directory, which is where bookconfig's Makefile puts a checkout of Linux.

I haven't been keeping up to date whether there's been new developments in linux-vtwm's repo though

Thanks for the investigation

lrussell887

Mar 24, 2019, 7:58:52 PM3/24/19
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel
Hi Alexey,

I appreciate the information! I am using a netbook with the WM8505 SoC -- so very much the weakest of the bunch. It just so happened that a few years ago I came into possession of four of the things, specifically the Sylvania SYNET07526. I had actually forgotten about them until recently and decided to see if I could make them useful.

Thanks for the investigation

lrussell887

Mar 24, 2019, 8:00:32 PM3/24/19
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel
Hi,

Thanks for letting me know, I knew I must've been missing something simple. I'll be giving that a try as soon as I can.

Thanks again!
Thanks for the investigation

kez...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2020, 11:13:15 AM11/29/20
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel
I just can't boot prebuilded kernel, because i have only black screen

Guest⁠ ⁠

Sep 6, 2022, 1:55:59 AM9/6/22
to VT8500/WM8505 Linux Kernel
Hi from 2022! I've rebased the testing-alchark branch on Linux 5.15.y stable.
Some of the additions from this commit https://github.com/linux-wmt/linux-vtwm/commit/732332853c1605916c7eb297fd0669e0e98bda96 aren't in the latest. Would it be okay to try cherry-picking some? Does anyone have the un-combined patches?

I'm also trying out multistrap for creating a Debian rootfs, which is way faster to set up during the first boot.