How to interpret Fido.search result of sunpy library?

Apaar Bawa

Oct 18, 2022, 1:55:55 PM10/18/22
to Virtual Solar Observatory : IDL Users
I am searching and downloading H-alpha images covered by the instruments of the GONG network using Fido sunpy’s interface at a cadence of 60 seconds. Sample code to fetch results look like this:

```
search_cadence = 60 # in seconds

results = Fido.search(attrs.Time(start_time, end_time), # time interval
                VSOInstrument(inst).inst_obj, # instrument
                attrs.Physobs.intensity, # filter for images
                attrs.Sample(search_cadence * u.second) # sampling rate )
```

The cadence with which I want images is fixed i.e 60 seconds.

When I try to set the time interval of 10 years (end_time = start_time + 10 years), I am getting a result of 10,000 images and when I try to set the time interval of 1 month (end_time = start_time + 1 month), then again I am getting a result of 10,000 images.

It seems like there is some kind of threshold within Fido.result or from the VSO that it returns a maximum of 10,000 images after some particular time interval difference.

Can anyone guide me on how can I adjust this threshold value so that I can get more than 10,000 images over the course of 10 years or are there any specifications that I’m missing?

Thanks in advance!