Fwd: background copying of VSO data

Joe Hourcle

Apr 3, 2011, 10:37:16 AM4/3/11
to vso...@googlegroups.com

For those interested in trying this.
(I'm on travel, so won't get a chance 'til Tuesday at the earliest)

-Joe

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Dominic Zarro
> Date: April 2, 2011 3:30:15 PM EDT
> Subject: background copying of VSO data
>
> Hi Joe and Joe,
>
> I added a /nowait keyword to vso_get a while back to take advantage of the IDL-IDL Bridge object to perform background copying of files. It stopped working in IDL 7, but I got it working again. It's useful for non-blocking of the IDL command line whilst waiting to download a large number of files. There are some gotchas:
>
> (1) an X-server has to be running. I don't fully understand why the bridge requires it.
> (2) because vso_get returns immediately after dispatching to sock_copy, there is no return output from vso_get.
> (3) for the same reason as (2), there is no output list of files returned in the filenames keyword. However, once the bridge thread has completed, the list is passed back to the local keyword used by sock_copy.
>
> I listed a sample session below. Feel free to try and advertize if you think useful.
>
> Dominic
>
> IDL> s=vso_search('2010/12/10',inst='aia',wave=94,sample=3600,/url)
> Records Returned : JSOC : 24/24
> Records Returned : JSOC : 24/24
>
> IDL> f=vso_get(s[0:3],/nowait,local=filenames,/quiet)
> % SOCK_COPY_THREAD: Request sent to SOCK_COPY...
> IDL>
> % SOCK_COPY_CALLBACK: Completed.
>
> ;-- filename is only returned when the thread is completed.
>
> IDL> help,filenames
> FILENAMES STRING = Array[4]
>
> --
>

> Dominic Zarro
> Group Manager/Principal Support Scientist
> ADNET Systems, Inc.
> 301-352-4604
> 240-463-4461 (cell)
> domini...@nasa.gov

Joseph B. Gurman

Apr 4, 2011, 6:39:04 PM4/4/11
to vso...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to mention: I met Chris Spinolo as I was leaving Bldg. 3 after the SOHO staff meeting this morning. He told me they'd gotten the money for the 10 Gbit upgrade, and that it would happen "this summer;" when I asked, he said that meant "early summer." I'm hoping that means sometime in July.

Of course, if the government is shut down then, who knows.... but I prefer to consider it good news, even if a year late. Chris doesn't own a printing press.