VulkanSceneGraph-1.0 branch made please test!

Robert Osfield

Nov 7, 2022, 9:25:05 AM11/7/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
Hi All,

I have just created 1.0 branches of VulkanSceneGraph, vsgXchange and vsgExamples. bumped the respective versions to 1.0.0 and set the release candidate numbers to 1 and made our first set of tags.

The branches are:

The tags are:

Github has a "Create release" button which I haven't tried yet, I don't know yet what it'll set up.  Should I try it on an rc?  Or wait for the final 1.0.0?

I've found that a find_package(vsg 0.7.0) won't accept a vsg-1.0.0 release as being compatible, I presume because the major release number bump is treated as API changing and incompatible.  This means you'll need to update your own find_package(..) entries to 1.0.0.

Any bug or build fixes we make this week will go into both the respective master and 1.0 branches.  I'll make the tags off the 1.0 branches.  After the 1.0.0 release I'll maintain the 1.0 branches together, and let the master diverge as future development happens.

The 1.0 branches and the 1.0.x releases made from them will be in maintenance mode with the aim of retaining API and ABI compatibility.  I say aim as sometimes bugs are found that are significant enough to require changes to the ABI.

The more testing we do this week the less likely any show stopping bug make it into the 1.0 branch, so please test on all the platforms and applications you have available.

I am working a client project most of this week so will let the VSG, vsgXchange and vsgExamples code bases "rest" while it's tested by myself and the rest of the community.

If everything looks solid at the end of this week I'll tag the final 1.0.0 and we can finally have our release party :-)

Thanks in advance for help in testing,
Robert.

Robert Osfield

Nov 7, 2022, 10:52:30 AM11/7/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
It turns out a bug fix I made first thing this morning tripped up the VisualStudio build, to resolve this I've added an export and checked this fix into the 1.0 branch and master, and created rc2:

Bruce Clay

Nov 7, 2022, 2:11:40 PM11/7/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
I have been working through the build process fighting several cmake - Visual Studio solutions issues and work arounds.  I pulled source for most projects either late yesterday or early this morning.  I just pulled the vsgExamples and ran cmake and got a version error trying to set vsg_DIR.  The vsgConfigVersion.cmake shows version 0.7.3 and vagExamples now seems to require 1.0-.0

I am setting up a test folder for Windows / Visual Studio on github.  I will push my build steps and batch files once I get things to build

Bruce

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 10:52 AM Robert Osfield <robert....@gmail.com> wrote:
It turns out a bug fix I made first thing this morning tripped up the VisualStudio build, to resolve this I've added an export and checked this fix into the 1.0 branch and master, and created rc2:

Robert Osfield

Nov 7, 2022, 2:15:58 PM11/7/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 at 19:11, Bruce Clay <bcla...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have been working through the build process fighting several cmake - Visual Studio solutions issues and work arounds.  I pulled source for most projects either late yesterday or early this morning.  I just pulled the vsgExamples and ran cmake and got a version error trying to set vsg_DIR.  The vsgConfigVersion.cmake shows version 0.7.3 and vagExamples now seems to require 1.0-.0

vsgExamples-1.0.0 now requires VulkanSceneGraph-1.0.0 and vsgXchange-1.0.0.

My best guess is that you aren't installing VSG and vsgXchange into a common directory that vsgExamples is looking for the libs + cmake config files in, and the vsgExamples build is picking up on an older VSG version.

My recommendation is to use the same CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX for all VSG and related projects so they all install alongside each other and can find each other.

Bruce Clay

Nov 7, 2022, 2:31:49 PM11/7/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
I set   CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to G:\SupportLibraries3\VulkanSceneGraph\vsg<project Name>  for all of the packages but cmake always looks for the <project name>Config.cmake i.e csgConfig.cmake and in some cases a
<project name>Targets.cmake i.e osg2vsgTargets.cmake file.  If it does not find these files it clears the cmake DIR flag

I have seen some input from Windows users on this forum.I would be interested to see how they are making thighs work on Windows / Visual Studio.  .

I am using cmake 3.21.1 is that by any chance to new of a version?

Bruce

Robert Osfield

Nov 7, 2022, 4:02:05 PM11/7/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
HI Bruce,

On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 at 19:31, Bruce Clay <bcla...@gmail.com> wrote:
I set   CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to G:\SupportLibraries3\VulkanSceneGraph\vsg<project Name>  for all of the packages but cmake always looks for the <project name>Config.cmake i.e csgConfig.cmake and in some cases a
<project name>Targets.cmake i.e osg2vsgTargets.cmake file.  If it does not find these files it clears the cmake DIR flag

Try setting the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to a single directory for all projects rather than a separate one for each project.  This will make it possible for CMake instal everything alongside each other, and make it possible to set a PATH var to the bin and lib directory.

I have seen some input from Windows users on this forum.I would be interested to see how they are making thighs work on Windows / Visual Studio.  .

Windows users are here, there are occasional discussions that are Windows specific.

I am using cmake 3.21.1 is that by any chance to new of a version?

That should be plenty modern enough.

Cheers,
Robert.

Rainer Gericke

Nov 8, 2022, 3:00:12 AM11/8/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
Hi All,

as an occasional Windows user, I didn't see any configure or build problems with Windows. This is what I use:
  • Windows 11
  • Visual Studio 2022
  • MS vcpkg as package manager for helper libraries like assimp, freetype, openexr...
  • cmake v3.24.2, this is highly recommendable for VS2022
  • Vulkan SDK 1.3.231.1 Standard Installation (SDL2 excluded, since it is messed up, better use vcpkg)
As Robert said, install all projects into one directory.

Hope I could help.

Robert Osfield

Nov 9, 2022, 5:24:21 AM11/9/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
Hi All,

I merged two minor fixes yesterday, the move of vsg_glslangConfig.cmake into lib/cmake/vsg config directory and and Ralf Habackers work on installing vsgMacros.cmake as part of the lib/cmake/vsg config directory,  All these changes were part of the respective masters yesterday so this morning I merged them into the 1.0 branches, bumped the rc numbers and created new release candidate tags for them:

The release candidates are:

The changes to cmake config install side will be the most risky part that needs testing across platforms to make sure that we haven't broken anything.  I think these changes make things cleaner so worth the risk.

Thanks for all the testing so far, and pretty please keep hammering the 1.0 branches/rc candidates.

Cheers,
Robert.