vcpkg port file before 1.0 release.

kan...@nodein.com

Oct 20, 2022, 11:23:38 AM10/20/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
Robert,

One recommendation for version 1.0 is the contribute a vcpkg port for vsg, vsgXchange, vsgImgui and vsgExamples

This makes users of vcpkg (which is ever increasing) to simply do a
vcpkg install vsg vsgXchange vsgExamples

Sincerely,
Suresh.

Robert Osfield

Oct 20, 2022, 1:55:31 PM10/20/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Suresh,

I'm open to the vcpkg support but wary of the possible implications.

For instance do you package the VSG with/without glslang support?

Do you package vsgXchange with/without curl, assimp, osg2vsg/OpenSceneGraph support?

Do you package with static or dynamic libraries?

The number of permutations could explode quite rapidly, in general I prefer leaving the decisions which components users will want for their projects down to the application developers, so making the VSG and associated libs easy to build of primary importance.

The vsgFramework template repo that uses CMake FetchContent is aimed at giving developers an example of how you can build the various components that they want to use.

Cheers,
Robert.

kan...@nodein.com

Oct 20, 2022, 8:47:38 PM10/20/22
to vsg-users : VulkanSceneGraph Developer Discussion Group
Hi Robert,

Indeed, the permutations rapidly explode. Perhaps vcpkg is not critical at the moment. What seems to work well for me (on windows and will try mac tonight), is using vsg, vsgimgui etc. as a submodule. This leaves the myriad of combinations, to the cmake-gui from whence the app developer can choose. I took a preliminary look at vsgFramework and yes it is good. Bottom line: lets not worry about vcpkg until later.

One change I do recommend is to rename one of the following projects, vsgImGui or vsgExamples/vsgImGui.
Having two projects vsgImGui and vsgExamples/vsImgui with the same name causes a conflict in VisualStudio when vsgExamples and vsgImGui are included in the same solution (i.e, using submodules).

Sincerely,
Suresh.

Robert Osfield

Oct 26, 2022, 6:57:37 AM10/26/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 at 01:47, kan...@nodein.com <kan...@nodein.com> wrote:
One change I do recommend is to rename one of the following projects, vsgImGui or vsgExamples/vsgImGui.
Having two projects vsgImGui and vsgExamples/vsImgui with the same name causes a conflict in VisualStudio when vsgExamples and vsgImGui are included in the same solution (i.e, using submodules).

I have renamed the vsgimgui example to vsgimgui_example, this is crappy change to work around a really brain dead compiler/tooling that can't cope with files and projects with entirely different paths and case.

The change is checked into vsgExamples:

This is the second time in a week that I've had to do extra work to workaround bad Microsoft compiler and tooling.

It's stuff like this makes me wonder how on earth Microsoft ever got out the garage and glad that we still have Linux and macOS to escape to to keep our sanity.