flt model support

Bruce Clay

Oct 31, 2022, 5:59:52 PM10/31/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
I managed to build the many parts of vsg and going through a few tests.  vsgViewer does not appear to support flight (flt) files.  vsgconv --features does not list flt and assimp project does not appear to include flt support.

How can we include flt support in our vsg projects?

Bruce

Robert Osfield

Oct 31, 2022, 6:25:39 PM10/31/22
to vsg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 at 21:59, Bruce Clay <bcla...@gmail.com> wrote:
I managed to build the many parts of vsg and going through a few tests.  vsgViewer does not appear to support flight (flt) files.  vsgconv --features does not list flt and assimp project does not appear to include flt support.

To load OpenFlight you'll need to use osg2vsg to load the data as an OSG model then have osg2vsg convert it to VSG.

If you build and install osg2vsg, then build vsgXchnage it'll add osg2vsg::OSG ReaderWriter to the vsgXchange::all, or you can add the osg2vsg::OSG ReaderWriter to your own vsg::Options.readerWriters list.

Longer term it may be appropriate to write an OpenFlight loader specifically for the vsgXchange, perhaps even just port the OSG's one.

For a vis-sim you could convert the OpenFlight models to the VSG's native .vsgb so the runtime wouldn't need vsgXchange/osg2vsg/OSG.

Tasks like a dedicated vsgXchange::OpenFlight loader will be something that is community led, so far no one has come forward to write or fund development of it.  What has been developed so far is a reflection of what has been seen as priority to existing VSG users.

Cheers,
Robert.